All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
1. Role and responsibilities
The Shelter and WASH Assistant is responsible for assisting in the day to day implementation of the Shelter WASH program in North Lebanon, through carrying out quality technical assessments and technical follow-up, eligibility and vulnerability assessments, and reporting accordingly.
- Carry out technical needs assessments for shelters/communal spaces/schools, in line with NRC’s project criteria intervention.
- Produce accurate drawings, reports, measurements (BoQs) and/or photographs as evidence of a technical assessment
- Monitor and report on the shelter WASH activities and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standards
- Ensure minimum Shelter and WASH standards (based on SPHERE) are applied and maintained in shelters
- Mobilize communities and community leaders for the building materials, construction activities and maintenance of structures
- Suggest new methods and approaches to improve the quality of the activities as relevant based on needs and field observation
- Administrate payment requests for partners, house owners, contractors, suppliers, construction workers, etc.
- Carry out data collection as required
- Prepare and file relevant documents according to procedures
- Carries out related mainstreaming of protection in programme daily implementation as per the set NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines, and ensures reporting any breaches/concerns to the line manager for proper action.
- Ensures that all protection related detected cases are referred to the concerned referral focal point and to the related Protection Coordinator.
- Monitor, supervise and inspect the quality of the works to ensure conformity with the technical specification as specified in the Bill of quantities (BOQ) and scope of works, drawings and design requirements
- Carry out and conduct data collection and assessments as required for all shelters and WASH modalities ( cash for rent, minor rehabilitation, shelters restorations and upgrades, schools rehabilitations, centers isolation, infrastructure upgrades), and any other shelter/ WASH activity .
- Contribute to all shelter/WASH COVID-19 activities and plans
- Prepare and delivery of cash payments, collection of monthly rent receipts, and distribution of Libanpost cards for selected families
- Identify needs and propose scope of intervention (from the technical aspect) for shelter rehabilitation such as minor rehabilitation works, major construction works and/or property upgrades in Small Shelter Units, school rehabilitation and isolation centers
- Ensure that all materials used and work performed address beneficaries’ needs and ensure safety by doing safety inspections of the sites
- Check plans, drawings and quantities for accuracy of calculation.
- Distribute NFIs as planned, and as requested by the line manager
- Assist in expanding the project location to new areas
- Report all protection related concerns related to families following the protection mainstreaming guidelines, and safe reporting channels
- Daily Update of shelter’s activities tracking sheets ( HH tracker, payments tracker)
- Submit daily and monthly report and as requested by the line manager
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Other NRC departments
- Local authorities (e.g. Muhktars and Mayors)
- Contractors and Suppliers
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering or Architecture or other relevant engineering degree
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant work experience with shelter WASH projects in a humanitarian/recovery context, experience with start-up of projects is a plus
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both spoken and written
- Proficiency of CAD programmes and computer based drawings
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Planning and delivering results
- Coping to change
- Handling insecure environments