Appointment against this position is for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. On-line applications will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided.
If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received. In such cases, please resubmit the application, if necessary. If the problem persists, please seek technical assistance through the Inspira “Need Help?” link.
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Division of Environmental Policy Implementation (DEPI) works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This post is located in UNEP/DEPI/Mediterranean Action Plan (MAP) at the Athens duty station.Under the general supervision of UNEP/MAP Deputy Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Mediterranean implementation of the Ecosystem Approach, in coherence with the European Union Marine Strategy Framework Directive (ECAP-MED II) Project Manager, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
(1) GENERAL ADMINISTRATION: Drafting routine correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant administrative, financial audit, personnel matters. Performs other related administrative duties, as required such as operational travel programme, assistance with ECAP related meeting preparation; payment to vendors and individual contractors for services; physical space planning; identifitying office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems; organizing and coordinating seminars, conferences and translations. Maintaining liaison with the officials in other units and Regional Activity Centres (RACs) regarding on-going programmes and other administrative matters; monitoring processes and schedules related to the unit’s outputs, products and tasks. Researching, compiling and summarizing background materials for use in preparation of reports, briefs and speeches. Providing assistance in the coordination of service-wide activities such as meetings, special projects and events. Providing general assistance to other office support staff, as required. Attending meetings, preparing minutes, and monitoring follow-up activities. Responding or drafting responses to a wide range of correspondence and other communications; uses standard word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports in English. Carries out quality control function for outgoing documents; proofreading and editing texts. Assisting in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software. Contributing to the preparation of legal instruments and technical correspondence. Maintaining calendar/schedules; monitoring changes and communicating relevant information to appropriate staff inside and outside the immediate work unit. Maintaining both paper and electronic filing and databases for work unit.
(2) CONSULTANCY CONTRACTS: Drafting Terms of Reference (TOR) for consultancy assignments and following up. Assisting in the evaluation of applications and screens for correctness and completeness. Initiating and following up payment process and maintaining budgetary control records.
(3) SMALL SCALE FUND AGREEMENTS (SSFA): Preparing and processing Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) between MAP and other partners, checking reports for compliance with TOR, initiating and following up payment process and maintaining budgetary control records. Screening requests for support, soliciting more information as needed, researching the appropriateness and feasibility for providing financial assistance, drafting the SSFA and follows up under the guidance of the Programme Officer, monitoring SSFA execution and follows-up on payments keeping all relevant records.
(4) BUDGET AND FINANCE: In close cooperation with the Budget Assistant, assisting in the preparation and review of financial proposals/requirements. Consolidating budget/financial part of project’s plan, grants, other financial agreements and procurement. Assisting in monitoring of financial delivery under the Work Plan on a monthly basis and giving recommendations accordingly. Assisting in monitoring of expenditures; preparing adjustments as necessary, in consultation with the Project Manager. Assisting project officers and managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions. Assisting in preparation of project reports, ensuring consistency of budget expenditures, reports and UMOJA accounts, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures. Assisting in the preparation and customizing of financial reports from UMOJA generated reports.
(5) Performs other duties as assigned
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Understanding of the functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related units. Ability to work well with figures, undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources. Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Formal training in the field of administration, budget and finance and/or any related fields is an asset.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in administrative services in finance, accounting, auditing or related area is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations secretariat. For this position fluency in oral and written English is required. A good working knowledge of French is an asset. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
United Nations Considerations
Candidates will be required to meet the requirements of Article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter as well as the requirements of the position. The United Nations is committed to the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity for all its human resources, including but not limited to respect for international human rights and humanitarian law. Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to whether they have committed, or are alleged to have committed criminal offences and/or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the At-a-Glance on “The Application Process” and the Instructional Manual for the Applicants, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of inspira account-holder homepage.
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at midnight (New York time) on the deadline date.
Programme Management Assistant
Athens, Greece 🇬🇷