The Water Program (WAT) at IIASA works across various water-related sectors and management scales. It studies a range of possible future socioeconomic changes and technological innovations.
The program seeks to incorporate water science into assessment and planning studies at the nexus of water, food, energy, and environmental security. Its aim is to establish a critical mass of water knowledge through development of new modeling tools and data collection.
We are seeking administrative support for the Water Program to assist with the general administration and coordination of the program’s activities.
Under the direct supervision of the Program Director, the selected candidate will support the Program Assistant with the following tasks:
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Handles administrative tasks for the Program to ensure its efficient operation:
- Supports tasks of Program Assistant
- Makes travel arrangements for Program staff members and visitors
- Prepares travel-related documentation for staff and visitors (authorization and reimbursements)
- Maintains the Program’s filing systems (including electronic files and databases).
- Performs general office duties using the IIASA internal Management Information System (MIS)
- Provides administrative support for collaborative research activities
- Assists with the organization of conferences, workshops and meetings, including video and teleconferences
- Organizes agendas, minutes, logistics and contact with participants
- Maintains Program databases (contacts and publications)
- Assists with production of Program materials (posters, input to website)
- Assists with maintaining records, including relating to budget
- Assists with the coordination of the program:
- Management of Program Director’s agenda
- Dealing with routine correspondence
- Arranging meetings and minute taking
- Interacts with other programs and departments in matters of relevance; keeps up-to-date with changing regulations and procedures within the Institute
- Deputizes for the Program Assistant during absences.
Background and Qualifications:
- Fluent in English (including the ability to edit text)
- Good working level of German would be an asset
- Able to deal independently with routine correspondence
- Good organizational skills and the ability to work through regular interruptions
- Good at multi-tasking with a keen sense of initiative
- Detail-oriented, even when carrying out routine administrative tasks
- Ability to work independently, as well as in close collaboration with other administrative staff
- Ability to take extended minutes for meetings and as required for external meetings hosted by the Program
- Experience working in a multicultural environment
- Experience in providing administrative support to programs or projects
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Good IT skills, including use of MS Office products and Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Willingness to occasionally work outside of normal office hours (e.g., organization of meetings, completion of tasks to meet deadlines).
The position is a full time role based at the IIASA offices in Laxenburg. An initial employment contract for three months will be offered. Following completion of this trial period, and with the agreement of both parties, the contract may be extended to become open-ended.
This position is categorized as a “General Service” post. All staff in the General Service category shall be recruited from within commuting distance of Laxenburg, Austria irrespective of nationality and the length of time they may have been in the country. Moving and settlement allowances will not apply.
IIASA is committed to a working environment that promotes equality, diversity, tolerance and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply. In the case that candidates are equally qualified, preference will be given to internal applicants and those who are nationals of IIASA member countries.
Preference will be given to eligible internal applicants.