About The IRC
We are, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international Non-Governmental organizations, providing relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response
Reporting to the Environmental Health Manager, the Water Technician Officer will be responsible for installation of water supply system electromechanical parts & ensuring proper operation & maintenance of the water supply system including submersible pumps, surface pumps, generators and switch boards, welding machines and pipeline installation and maintenance towards supply of safe and adequate water to the camp refuge, host and Ips population.
Key Job functions/responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as main technical focal point for activities related to troubleshooting, operation and maintenance of electro-mechanical parts (pumps, generators, control systems, etc—) of water supply systems of Melkadida refugee camps and host community.
- Identify gaps & plan for onsite training to build the capacity of the Assistant Water Technician Officers, Plumbers, and water system caretakers in Bokomayo refugee Camp in consultation with the EH Manager at Bokolmayo and the Senior EH Manager at Melkadida Field Office.
- Ensures that all generators, pumps and fittings at production and distribution systems, tap stands, water storage tanks have enough back up easily moving parts.
- Prepare detail specification including item description, part # and quantity of spare parts necessary to fix identified problems on electro-mechanical parts (pumps, generator set, control panels, etc) of water supply schemes.
- Identify & ensure the procurement of tools and equipment’s required towards operation & maintenance of the water supply systems including generators, pumps and control panel for pumps;
- Prepare & put in place monitoring plan for the operation & servicing of the generators and pumps;
- Keep records of fuel consumption, generator working hours and electromechanical equipment’s performance indicators during the operation and maintenance phase and report to the EH Manager and the Senior EH manager at Melkadida, Field Office.
- Organize and deliver trainings on operation and maintenance of electro-mechanical parts to Water System Caretakers, plumbers and Assistant Water Technicians Officers.
- Provide the necessary technical support to WASHCos both at refugee and host community for their operation and maintenance activities at water point.
- Prepare, weekly and monthly progress reports and keep the supervisor informed of the maintenance and/or installation of electro-mechanical parts;
- Visit the generators and pump on daily bases and provide guidance and advise for the operators and maintenance team
- Install generators and pumps in the water supply systems
- Assist the EH Manager in project proposal development and quarter and annual reporting regarding to electromechanical operation activities.
- Degree in Electromechanical, Electricity, Auto Mechanics, General Mechanics or related and who have excellent experience in surface water management and at least 3 years relevant experience for first degree and 2 years of relevant experience for post graduate degree holders;
- NGO experience is preferable.
- Excellent Experience in surface and submersible pump operation and maintenance
- Computer literate in word and excel.
- Good writing and spoken skill in English
- Good Interpersonal Skills