Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture Division (EAER) in the East Asia Regional Department (EARD). EAER provides lending and non-lending assistance in agricultural and rural development, and environmental protection and natural resources management. Under agricultural and rural development, EAER specifically operates in (i) sustainable agricultural production, value chain, market development, financial services and intermediaries, and climate resilient agricultural; (ii) agricultural infrastructure (e.g., irrigation, drainage, and access roads) development and management. Under environmental protection and natural resources management, EAER operates in (i) policy, institutional, and technology development of environmental management (e.g., waste and wastewater management, soil contamination control, emission trading, payment for environmental services and expanding engagement with natural capital and gross ecosystem product accounting); (ii) natural resources management (e.g., biodiversity, land-use and forestry development/management, integrated water resources management, wetland and/or lakes conservation, and biodiversity and ecosystem management); and (iii) natural disaster risk management. EAER also assists in developing projects for climate change adaptation and mitigation; and incorporating feasible adaptation and mitigation measures (e.g., greenhouse gas reduction, carbon sequestration, and land degradation improvement) in its operation. EAER also provides policy support and assistance in knowledge development and sharing. This comes from using its vast knowledge accumulated through its operations and through a one ADB approach working closely with Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department, Private Sector Operations Department and other Regional Departments among others in ADB.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Environmental Economist will provide technical inputs and analyses in the identification, design, development, processing, and evaluation of loan and technical assistance (TA) projects in the division’s regional member countries and ensure economic and environmental soundness and consistency with policies and strategies to further development in the environment, agriculture, natural resources, and rural development. The incumbent will process and administer TA and investment projects focusing on environmental conservation and sustainable natural resource development, including policies to encourage sound environmental governance and related institutional reforms. He/she will contribute to the development and evaluation of environment, agriculture, natural resources, and rural development policy in the National Poverty Reduction Strategies of developing member countries (DMCs). He/She will be expected to play a key role in knowledge generation and management to advance the work of the department with areas such as natural capital, gross ecosystem product accounting and climate change. He/she will work with broadpolicies and objectives, working directly with clients, with supervision for critical tasks. The incumbent will report to Director, EAER and will supervise National and Administrative staff.
- Provides information and analyses in the development of policies, strategies, and innovative participatory approaches to further development in the agriculture, natural resources, and rural development sectors in the context of environmentally, economically, and socially sustainable agricultural development and rural poverty reduction
- Conducts sound economic and sector work such as the identification and analysis of agriculture, natural resources, and rural development sectors development trends, environmentally sound economic analysis for regional and DMC specific sector studies and TA, etc; and produces related knowledge products.
- Provides technical inputs for country programming and contribute to the development of Country Partnership Strategy/Country Operations Business Plan. Participates in interdepartmental working groups on environment, agricuIture, natural resources, and rural development sectors issues, and participates in country teams.
- Performs environmentally sound economic analysis and provides technical inputs for the identification, design, development, and processing of loan and TA projects in the division’s regional member countries consistent with policies and strategies to further development in environment, agriculture, natural resources, and rural development.
- Undertakes missions and other activities for the processing and administration of sector, project, and program loans, TA projects, and knowledge products and services (KPS) in environment, agriculture, natural resources, and rural development.
- Undertakes data collection, micro- and macro- economic, environment, and social analyses for assessing the impact of policies, strategies, and projects on the beneficiaries, agriculture, natural resources, and rural development sectors, and on the overall environment, social, and economic development of DMCs.
- Analyzes environment related issues and options, policies, institutions, and laws for enhancing understanding and promoting actions for management of natural resources in a more economically productive, socially acceptable, and environmentally sustainable in the DMCs.
- Analyzes the economic, social, environmental and climate impacts and cost of risks, hazards, and benefits of mitigating the impacts of these hazards through collaborative efforts in quantitative and qualitative aspects. Evaluates the environmental cost and benefits of projects, as well as draws lessons for future projects.
- Leads the preparation of KPS and participates in sector and thematic networks around environment, agriculture, natural resources, and rural development sectors and related issues to keep abreast of latest developments and issues. Should be able to contribute to the advancement in the areas of natural capital, gross ecosystem product accounting and climate change with regard to economic analysis.
- Supervises the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Economics, preferably with specialization in environmental economics, or other related fields; or University degree in Economics, preferably with specialization in environmental economics, or other related fields combined with at least 5 years specialized experience relevant to the position in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree
At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in environment, agriculture, natural resources, and rural development as well as exposure in the full project cycle (i.e. programming, project processing, and project administration)
International experience working in development in several countries
Proven application of expertise in Economics, or breadth across multiple areas with in- depth knowledge within one area
Able to utilize and share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community
Excellent written and Verbal communication skills in English
Able to act as a mentor to the more junior team members, providing guidance on projects or processing of loans/technical assistance
Able to act as a coach to develop capabilities/potential of more junior colleagues
Able to act as a team leader when required with supervision from the Director or a more senior team leader
Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 4.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Primary Location: Asian Development Bank Headquarters-Philippines-Manila, Department: East Asia Department, Division: Environment, Natural Resources & Agriculture Division, EARD, Staff Category: International Staff (HQ), Position Level: IS 4
Job Posting: 09-Jul-2021, 11:22:34 AM
Closing Date (Period for Applying) – External: 23-Jul-2021, 6:59:00 PM