WASH Deputy Coordinator/5175
Duration : 12 months
Start date : 05-Aug-2021
You’ll contribute to ending world hunger by …
Under the global direction of the WASH Coordinator, the WASH Deputy Coordinator (DC) will be in charge of increasing the quality of the WASH Programmes, both in the South and Bekaa regions. He/She will also take part on the follow-up of regular implementation of the different WASH interventions, supporting WASH Program Managers in the implementation of activities at field level.
The WASH Deputy Coordinator will also liaise with WASH PM to support on reporting, project design and monitoring current interventions. In addition, the WASH DC will follow-up in the scaling up of different pilot projects, such as CASH for WASH, decentralized sanitation systems or social outreach activities.
Finally, and under the supervision of the WASH Coordinator, he/she will support on capitalizing all lessons learned by the ACF WASH Team in these last years, feeding up the future ACF Sectorial Strategy in Lebanon.
Key activities in your role will include
Objective 1: Ensure quality implementation of WASH activities, providing technical advice and guidance to the technical teams at base level (50%)
- Identify, jointly with the team, program constraints and delays during implementation, propose solutions and support the correct implementation of Programmes.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to the project teams when required (trainings, monitoring, reports etc.) ensuring quality and timely implementation of the WASH activities.
- Support on developing a Social Outreach Component, including Risk Communication and Community Engagement activities in different settings along the country.
- Ensure proper archiving of technical and support documents in collaboration with the HoP at base and capital level.
- Ensure capitalization of lessons learnt based on our programmatic experiences, making sure recommendations are shared and documented to improve the quality of the programs.
- Ensure team’s monitoring and evaluation plan is effective, logical, and moving towards achieving the expected results and indicators of the project.
- Support on providing capacity building to existing staff, building their knowledge on both technical and social outreach activities.
Objective 2: Donor reporting, support for the preparation of new proposals and external coordination (20%)
- Work closely with the WASH PMs and Grants Manager to produce and revise donors reports on a timely and quality manner in collaboration with the technical teams.
- Build the technical capacity of both WASH PMs and Head of Projects based on the current and future approaches defined by the WASH Department.
- Support, when needed, on the timely procurement of goods and services and budget follow-up of programmes, in close coordination with Logistics and Finance Departments and the HoPs.
- Participate in the design of new proposals, in close coordination with the Grants Manager, WASH PM and WASH Coordinator.
- Represent ACF in Water Sector working groups and coordination meetings, participating in stakeholders’ relevant meetings when needed.
Objective 3: Project design, development of assessments and monitoring tools (20%)
- Support on defining the program implementation modality, methodology and tools for an integrated programming together with the WASH PMs.
- Work closely with the MEAL Department and the project teams to develop quality monitoring tools and in-depth analysis of current existing Programmes.
- Develop, together with the technical teams, assessments templates and context monitoring tools to build interventions with evidence-based data.
- Support identifying potential new humanitarian needs that might arise in the coming months, based on the evolution of the volatile Lebanese context.
Objective 4: Capitalization of ACF previous and future interventions in the WASH Sector (10%)
- Capitalize on current pilot experiences (Cash for Wash, Shelter/WASH interventions, decentralized sanitation systems) and provide a framework for upscaling those Programmes.
- Develop and prepare SOPs to standardize intervention proposed by the WASH Department according to the different settings (ITS, Collective Shelters, Lebanese communities…etc).
- Support on the development of the WASH Sectorial Strategy together with the WASH PMs and the Wash Coordinator.
Objective 5: Security
- Respect the security rules specified in the mission and capital security plan.
- Communicate to the security managers of the working location any security related issue or non-compliance with the security plan.
Objective 6: Support Humanitarian Activities of Action Against Hunger
- Support the emergency interventions of the organization as per the employee’s abilities.
- Support any activity that helps reaching our humanitarian goals, as per the employee’s abilities.
- Promote gender equality within the humanitarian and/or development work
Do you meet the profile required criteria?
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Public Health or Environmental Sciences.
- Specific training on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in the humanitarian context.
- Specific training on Programme Cycle Management.
Technical specific knowledge:
- Previous experience in similar position (PM considered) of at least 3 years in the WASH Sector.
- Experience on the integration of programmes.
- Good analytical skills and capability to work in a precise, structured, and detailed manner.
- Must have good drafting and reporting skills.
- Experienced on the development of assessment templates and monitoring technical tools.
- Significant understanding and experience with project budgets and logistic procedures.
- Good communication skills, diplomacy, and coordination skills.
- Previous experience in WASH Program management and Water Governance.
- Experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts, preferably with experience supporting emergency or post-emergencies responses.
- Experienced in training and team capacity-building.
- Experience in representation/external coordination.
Humanitarian sector knowledge:
Action Against the Hunger knowledge:
Experience in ACF is desirable.
English (compulsory working language, spoken, read and written). Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
IT and specific systems:
Strong computer skills in Office environment and data management
Mobility (national/ international)
Based in Beirut with frequent travels to Zahle and Tyre to work with technical teams.
Our remuneration package:
- Based in: Beirut
- Formal work contract: 12 months
- Salary: according to ACF salary scale and according to candidate’s previous experience (according to standard list of Action Against Hunger – Spain). Action Against Hunger – Spain remuneration system allows a salary progression based on the annual development appraisal.
- Lump individual housing covered by the organization: package estimated according to the destination and duration of the contract. – For International Staff
- Lump sum per diem and living expenses covered by the organization: package estimated according to the destination and duration of the contract. – For International Staff
- Travel costs to and from the mission. – For International Staff
- 25 working days of paid leave per year.
- Break on 3 month cycle: additional rest period of 5 working days, including a lump sum for travel cost to a reference area and economic contribution. – For International Staff
- Health, repatriation, travel and life insurance covered by the organization.
- Extra benefit per month
Action against Hunger is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work such as but not limited to sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and/or financial misconduct; We expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through endorsing our code of conduct and other related policies and only those who share our values and code of conduct will be recruited to work for us.