EcoWorks seeks a Water Programs Manager to lead and grow EcoWorks’ role in helping residents throughout Southeast Michigan understand and lower their water bill. An unaffordable water bill for low income residents can have huge negative impacts – from households drastically cutting back on other necessities to pay for their water service to the health and safety risks of losing water service itself.
About Us: EcoWorks is a Detroit-based nonprofit with a 37-year track record of designing solutions that advance community development, sustainability, and social justice. Our mission is to create opportunities to learn and practice the sustainable use of energy and natural resources through innovative education, job training, consulting, social business and advocacy through three complementary programs:
The Youth Energy Squad (YES), Residential Education, and Strategic Community Initiatives. While EcoWorks’ roots are firmly planted in energy conservation, we have grown to emphasize all aspects of sustainability in housing, commercial buildings, neighborhoods, schools, and municipalities. Learn more about us and opportunities with our programs at http://www.ecoworksdetroit.org/careers.
Water Smart: Water Smart, with a staff of four, is part of EcoWorks’ Residential Education Department. Water Smart’s primary work is providing the water conservation and plumbing repair component of the Water Residential Assistance Program (WRAP). Launched in 2016, WRAP is funded by the Great Lakes Water Authority and provided by the Community Action Alliance. Over 70 communities in six counties participate in WRAP. To date EcoWorks has provided over 2,000 home water audits and follow up plumbing repairs, saving an average of $420 per household.
Position Detail: The Water Programs Manger will ensure the effective delivery of all aspects of home water audits, workshops, train the trainer sessions, plumbing repair, and other activities that will help individual residents lower their water bill. You should expect to spend a substantial portion of time performing day to day and administrative operations. The Water Programs Manager will also work to grow existing programs and advance innovative solutions to the growing issue of water unaffordability. As Water Programs Manager, you would be responsible for the overall success of the programs. Reporting directly to the ED, the Water Programs Manager job responsibilities include:
- Manage contract and grant-funded projects and ensure the timely completion of deliverables and reporting requirements
- Manage and support Water Smart staff
- Ensure the effective delivery of all aspects of home water audits, workshops, and plumbing repair
- Schedule home water audits from agency referrals
- Coordinate follow-up plumbing repairs with plumbing company subcontractors
- Resolve customer issues including call backs
- Review service reports and work orders
- Manage and maintain inventory
- Lead reporting and invoicing activities
- Keep program promotional materials up to date
- Contribute to the Community Action Alliance leadership team that implements the WRAP program
- Ensure the long-term effectiveness and success of the program through program evaluation, impact analysis, storytelling, effective reporting, relationship building, etc.
- Advance systemic solutions to water unaffordability – expanding existing programs, supporting new programs and partnerships, supporting water department efforts, legislative efforts, communication campaigns, etc.
- Advance a cohesive department strategy for identifying issues where EcoWorks can play a role in innovative solutions that align with EcoWorks goals and values and enhance financial sustainability
- Build and maintain relationships with non-profit, community, and municipal government partners
- Contribute to the EcoWorks leadership team
- A degree or equivalent background in a sustainability-related field and a minimum of 2 years of program management experience
- Experience leading project teams; previous supervision of staff preferred
- Experience creating and following program budgets, familiarity with organizational financial operations a plus
- An aptitude and excitement for creating, performing, and improving day to day program operations and administrative work
- Experience with water conservation, water efficiency, plumbing systems, home repair, or related topics a plus
- Experience with customer assistance or social service programs a plus
- Knowledge of the landscape of water assistance programs, water affordability efforts, etc. a plus
- An ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with an array of public and private partners
- An ability to identify, pursue, and secure new projects and funding
- A commitment to innovation and collaboration
- A commitment to working towards justice and equity
- A personal and professional commitment to EcoWorks’ mission and core values
This is a full-time salaried, senior-level position with benefits. Salary range is $40,000 – $50,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send a current resume, cover letter, and 3 references to: [email protected]. Position will remain open until filled with priority consideration given to applications received by August 6th, 2018.