The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is one of the largest independent conservation organizations in the world. We are an international NGO committed to environmental protection active in almost 100 countries and have been working in the Congo Basin since 1978.
In Gabon, WWF has been active for more than 20 years, with field conservation programs in Gabon and Congo segments if the TRIDOM landscape as well as in the Gabon segment of the Gamba-Conkouati Landscape. WWF Gabon furthermore has crosscutting extractive industries & mining as well as forestry programs.
We are looking for a Natural Capital Program Manager who will be accountable for assuming overall responsibility for the management and implementation of the “Securing Gabon’s Ecological Future” project, including overall project management implementation, activity planning and coordination, staff supervision, budget control, partnerships management and development, fundraising, and technical reporting.
Location: Libreville, Gabon.
- The incumbent will be responsible for the overall project management and implementation in all its aspects, and in this regard will assure day-to-day decision-making and implementation of the agreed project workplans;
- He/she will ensure the development and regular updating of the project work and activity plans in accordance with the overall project framework and objectives;
- He/she will be responsible for providing oversight and supervision of the interventions of the project team, which consist of the WWF GCPO Business and Biodiversity officer, the WWF Regional Palm Oil Coordinator, the WWF GCPO GIS and Biomonitoring Senior Officer and the WWG GCPO Forest Officer;
- He/she will be responsible for monitoring and reporting on Natural Capital Program activity progress, challenges, lessons learned and opportunities, including specific reporting requires as per donor grants.
- He/she will also provide input to the Gamba landscape initiative to ensure synergies between this project and the Gamba Programme as well others in Gabon.
What you need:
- Master’s Degree in Environmental Economics, Environmental Policy, or related fields. A first-level university degree in the same with a combination of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- Minimum of 7 years’ professional experience in national development planning, environmental and natural resource management;
- Good understanding of Gabon’s government institutions and planning processes;
- A good understanding and knowledge of Gabon’s natural capital assets including development drivers and possible threats;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate and partner with communities, government officials, donors, and other stakeholders;
- Demonstrated understanding of local culture, administrative systems, and government organization;
- Skilled communicator (fluent in English and French);
- Ability to translate information and work across disciplines;
- Good understanding of the science and economics of natural capital in projects and analysis, but also keeping in mind practical considerations of implementation;
- Strong MS Office skills, including Word and Excel;
- Ability to command the confidence of people at all levels of seniority;
- An enthusiastic team player, with experience of collaborative working.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Excellent team player with experience in working in multi-disciplinary groups, using influence and interpersonal skills, listening, diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships with corporations, partners, donors, volunteers, and all levels of staff.
- Proven experience in development and coordination of large programmes, with strong project management skills at the international level and leadership skills.
- Ability to open doors and build relationships of confidence with senior contacts in government, business, NGOs, civil society and the donor community.
- Excellent negotiation, diplomacy and lobbying skills.
- Adherence to WWF’s values: knowledgeable, Optimistic, determined and Engaging.
Please consult the attached job description for more information on the position.
How to apply?
Applications including a cover letter and a detailed resume should be send electronically to [email protected].
Deadline for applications: 2nd September 2018.
The subject should read “NCPM”.
PLEASE Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.