The Geospatial Data, Analysis & Technology Specialist coordinates geospatial services for research and instruction. This includes data, tools, and techniques used in geographic information systems (GIS), remote sensing, cartography, global navigation satellite systems (GNSS), photogrammetry, and other related forms of Earth mapping, observation and analysis.
Essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Working with the professorial faculty to provide appropriate instruction for various disciplines who wish to incorporate geospatial analysis, tools, or techniques in their courses.
* Training BYU Library student and staff employees on software, tools, department assets and GIS techniques as requested.
* Being aware of and promoting research and funding opportunities for student and faculty geospatial research.
* Ensuring Information Technology resources for geospatial data storage and access are sufficient and suitable for providing access to Library-provided data sources and tools used in disseminating products of faculty research and student instruction projects.
* Helping coordinate the installation of GIS software tools across campus with department Computer Support Representatives and OIT.
* Providing reference service to patrons, faculty and students for the physical map collection when needed.
* Assisting the Department Chair in collecting information for and drafting various reports related to GIS and the maps collection.
* Engaging in assessment projects as directed by the Department Chair related to GIS and the maps collection.
* Bachelor’s (B.S.) degree in a geospatial science (Geography, Urban Planning, Engineering, Computer Science, Ecology or other related field).
* Excellent customer-service skills (for both internal and external patrons).
* Strong data management and data analysis skills.
* Knowledge and working experience in GIS software, proficiency using ArcGIS Desktop.
* Knowledge and working experience in image processing software, e.g. ENVI, ERDAS, eCognition.
* Basic understanding of Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) hardware, software, and techniques.
* Familiarity with geospatial data sources to support teaching and research.
* Basic knowledge of statistical methods, processes and software.
* Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe products, Windows and Mac operating systems, basic HTML.
* Master’s degree in a geospatial science strongly preferred.
* 2+ years using GIS software and other geospatial tools and data (in addition to use during education).
* 1+ years experience working with the public.
* Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver instructional content (1 – 3 years experience teaching and/or training).
* Experience with Python, SQL, ModelBuilder, ArcSDE, Geoserver, OpenLayers, Leaflet, CartoDB or similar tools.
* Experience with Esri ArcGIS Pro and Earth, amd Esri ArcGIS Server products.
* Experience developing geospatial Web services.
* Experience using and/or collecting remotely sensed data (e.g. aerial photo, satellite imagery, LiDAR, etc.).
* Experience with database management (SQL, PostgreSQL, etc.).
* Experience facilitating groups to determine needs, collect information, and create goals and plans.
Employee Class: Administrative
Work Location: Provo Campus
Environment: Rare presence of abnormal variations in temperature and exposure to outside conditions
Physical Exam Required: N
Physical Exam Details: n/a
Desired Start Date: As soon as possible
Job Close Date: 08/16/2018
Pay Level: 52
Approximate Starting Salary: $52,799 – $68,570 Depending on qualifications and experience.
Documents Required at time of Application:
Required: Cover Letter, Resume
Optional: Letter of Recommendation 1, Letter of Recommendation 2
Equal Opportunity Employer: m/f/Vets/Disability