About the job
The Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) is an independent philanthropic organisation with offices in Addis Ababa, Beijing, London, Nairobi, and New Delhi. CIFF works with a wide range of partners seeking to transform and empower the lives of poor and vulnerable children and adolescents in developing countries, with the ultimate goal of solving seemingly intractable challenges to ensure all children and adolescents have the chance to survive and thrive.
CIFF aims to play a catalytic role as a funder and influencer to deliver urgent and systemic change at scale. Areas of work include empowering girls and boys to control their sexual and reproductive health to avoid unintended pregnancy, unsafe abortion and HIV/AIDS; improving children and mothers’ health and nutrition; preventing low birthweight babies; eliminating deaths from severe acute malnutrition, nested within a more integrated approach to childhood development; and deworming efforts to break transmission for good. CIFF’s child protection work focuses on ending child labour and sexual exploitation by enabling an environment that reduces vulnerability of communities and increases protection of children. The organisation’s climate portfolio is driven by a vision of a climate-safe future for today’s children and future generations that also bear the benefits of cleaner air, energy security and sustainable jobs.
Founded in 2002, CIFF employs approximately 160 professionals globally. CIFF strives to couple business acumen and principles with development experience and best practices to transform the landscape for children. It seeks to be the gold standard in grant making and foundation operations.
Job Title: Manager, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
Reports to: Regional Director/ WASH Director
Main purpose of the role:
To provide strategic, technical, and operational oversight to the existing water, hygiene and sanitation (WASH) programmes in Ethiopia and other African Countries as required. To oversee engagements with partners and assist in exploring new types of partnerships. Support in developing new pipelines, and participate in evaluation, course correction, learning, and capacity development activities. The WASH investments fall under the Resilient Communities Pillar of the CIFF Africa Strategy. The investments will support towards realising resilient communities in the Africa strategy.
Strategy & planning
- Manage WASH Portfolios in Ethiopia – this includes ensuring that the WASH Portfolios are executed as per the investment design to meet the desired goals and impact the lives of children, adolescent girls and mothers.
- Prepare and present high-quality analysis and research, as required, to support the WASH-NTD integration in determining future strategic priorities and setting operational plans.
Programme development, delivery & performance
- Manage a caseload of live programmes with a value of about USD 300 million of active and pipeline of potential investments (Water4Life $240m, WISE $24m, Transmission Beak $30m) in accordance with the WASH sector strategic priorities and plan.
- Manage a whole portfolio of WASH grants in close collaboration with project respective grantees and government.
- Ensure optimal operational and financial performance of on-going portfolios through a combination of support, monitoring, and technical assistance to address implementation challenges.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all grant planning and implementation processes and ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of WASH with other sectors, for the achievement of the investment goals.
- Apply agreed due diligence and risk management protocols appropriately throughout the development and delivery of proposals and programmes, to ensure the interests and reputation of the Foundation are protected.
- Conduct structured feasibility analysis on investment proposals, using an appropriate range of methodologies and techniques, to ensure they are based on logical and robust assumptions.
- With the advice and guidance of the Evidence Measurement and Evaluation (EME) and Business Partner, identify and embed appropriate monitoring and evaluation processes to all proposals and programmes.
- Conduct regular reviews of the progress and performance of programmes under delivery to identify problems and delays, and work with partners to develop effective solutions (escalating to more senior leaders for support and intervention, where required).
- Coordinate closely with Grantees to ensure timely and quality portfolios implementation that meets global requirements and regulations.
- Ensure synergy opportunities between grants – either within the same portfolio or outside.
- Support Grantees in identifying, managing and mitigating portfolio risks.
- Identify opportunities and options for improving processes, procedures and programme management approaches within (and beyond) the team, to support increased organisational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assist in the formulation of the WASH outcome and output results, related indicators, baselines, targets and means of verification. Prepare required documentation for internal reviews.
Sector knowledge and profile-building
- Keep abreast of WASH sector development trends together with other international development sectors, for maximum efficiency and effectiveness in programme design, management and implementation. Provide timely, comprehensive and current data to inform WASH policy and programme development, planning, management and implementation.
- As required (and under the direction of the WASH Director), contribute to the development of thought leadership, PR, marketing and advocacy materials, to support CIFF’s ambitions to scale-up, mainstream and leverage additional support for its initiatives.
Stakeholder and partner management
- Conduct rigorous research and evaluation of potential partners, using agreed corporate protocols and techniques, to assess their suitability and credentials for collaborating on CIFF initiatives.
- Apply CIFF’s agreed account management and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) disciplines and approaches in all dealings with programme partners and stakeholders, to ensure productive and professional relationships are maintained in a coordinated and strategic manner.
- Under direction of the WASH Director, work closely with the Strategic Engagement and Communication (SEC) team to help to develop strategic partnerships to support adoption, replication, co-funding or scaling-up of CIFF programmes.
- With a variety of external audiences, act as a knowledgeable resource about CIFF’s programmes and priority areas.
- Participate in strategic WASH programme planning discussions. Work with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies for the achievement of WASH output results in the country programme.
Membership of the team
- Provide coaching and mentoring support to colleagues, as required, to help build skills, confidence and capability in particular areas, processes or procedures.
Qualifications & Experience
- Water Resources/Water Supply/Civil Engineering degree with minimum 15 years relevant managerial experience is essential, Master’s Degree with minimum 12 years relevant managerial experience desirable.
- The successful candidate will have significant experience of designing and constructing and managing community water and sanitation programs, and developing effective WASH programmes.
- Demonstrable experience in technical analysis; policy, planning and program delivery, including field experience, all within the development sector.
- Knowledge of the evidence bases pertaining to programme design and implementation in WASH. Ability to speak and write articulately about programmes, and gain credibility with a variety of audiences.
- Strong working knowledge of impact measurement and programme monitoring and evaluation.
- Ability to analyze an organization’s strength of management, vision and adaptive capacity. Ability to guide, influence and/or advise management teams to effectively implement programmes.
- Experience working within government systems and/or experience influencing the policies of government agencies, private sector organizations or donor organizations – particularly in the water and sanitation sector.
To apply for this role please ensure you have attached a covering letter in addition to uploading your C.V. Applications without covering letters attached will not be considered!
- Project Management