- Job number: SRH04342
- Domaine de competence: Water Sanitation and Hygiene promotion
- Statut: Salarié
- Type de poste: Overseas missions
- Country: Myanmar (Burma)
- Contract Type: Short term contract
ABOUT THE MISSION…
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 6 months, renewable
Location: Yangon with frequent visits to the field bases
SI has been in Myanmar since 2008. For the first three years, SI worked in the Delta in response to the devastating Cyclone Nargis. In 2011, SI expanded to three new regions (Dry Zone, Rakhine, and Chin State) focusing on Livelihoods, Food Security, Shelter, and WASH. In January 2012, SI expanded to Kachin State to respond to an emergency situation created by the displacement of Kachin population affected by the armed conflict.
SI currently has a coordination base in Yangon, with field bases in the Rakhine and Kachin States. Each office is operational with a Field Coordinator.
In 2021, 17 international staff and 318 national staff are working within SI to implement 7 contracts (on-going) in WASH, FSL, Emergency programs (NFI, Shelter, WASH, Food) funded by OFDA, DFID/HARP, ECHO, CIAA, OCHA, CDC and UNICEF.
The global budget is approx. EUR 6 million/year for 2021.
To learn more about the Myanmar mission, please click here.
ABOUT THE JOB
The WASH coordinator, as technical advisor of the mission, contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of Water supply, Sanitation and HP.
- He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations.
- He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of WASH programs implemented in the intervention country.
- He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of WASH.
Line manager: Deputy Country Coordinator for Program
Functional manager: HQ Program manager
Functional report(s): All program managers related to his/her sector and Deputy Field Coordinator
- Strategic orientation (mission level)
- Relevance and quality of projects (all)
- Coordination, technical support and operational monitoring
- Capitalizing and lessons learnt
- Team and people management
- Reporting / communication / representation
There is a high level of external representation: WASH Cluster, MHM Working Group, Strategic Advisory Group of WASH Cluster, as well as regular meetings with the donors, local actors and other NGO.
Priorities for the first months:
- S/he will contribute to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of Water supply, Sanitation and HP with special attention to integrated approach with FSL programs and market based approach;
- S/he will identify the training needs of SI WASH teams in both bases and Local Partners and will organize technical training as needed;
- S/he will guarantee the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations;
- S/he will contribute to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of WASH.
University level degree, preferably a Master degree in Water Sanitation and Hygiene related sector, Engineering, Environment and/or Geology.
- Minimum 3 years’ professional work experience in a coordinator role in managing teams (including by remote control) + specific WASH experience.
- Significant previous experiences in emergency contexts and protracted crises.
- Experience in conducting technical assessment and project evaluation.
- Significant experience in an English-speaking environment.
Previous experience in South Asia + previous experience with SI are assets.
Technical skills and knowledge:
- WASH programming experience;
- Team management and capacity building;
- Monitoring and evaluation;
- Report and proposal writing;
- Strategic thinking;
- Able to quickly understand complex situations and to coordinate both emergencies and long-term programs;
- Technical knowledge on faecal sludge management, water distribution systems, behaviour change approach;
- Experience in social water management, participatory methods and community engagement in tensed community context.
- Ability to take decisions and work in autonomy is essential;
- The candidate must display diplomatic and smooth leadership skills;
- An understanding of and commitment to SI’s mission and values.
- Show a clear calm, stable, mature and rational personality with a culturally sensitive approach
- Willingness to work under challenging conditions and physical fitness to live and work in a tropical climate
- Able to work under pressure, be dynamic and highly motivated to meet populations’ humanitarian needs.
- Bilingual in English
- French and Burmese are assets.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried position
According to experience, starting from EUR 2 640 gross per month (EUR 2 400 gross per month + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) i.e. + a monthly Per Diem of USD 700 per month.
SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
A housing package is available.
During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every 3 months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with USD 850 allocated by SI).
In addition to these, SI adds 1 additional rest day per month of work, i.e. 12 additional days off for a one-year contract.
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which covers all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system, including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The climate is hot and wet tropical. It can be cold on the bases during December – February period.
Please note that the current political situation and security context is volatile, but SI monitors it daily and adapts its procedures in order to ensure the security of all staff.
Please note that the COVID 19 pandemic can impact the movements (flights and visa issuance). At the time of writing, it can take 3 to 4 months to get in country.
Safety and security rules are regularly reviewed and adapted to the situation, to minimize the exposure to the COVID 19, in constant monitoring and adaptation to the context evolution. This include social distancing, teleworking and strict hygienic rules, such as regular handwashing etc.
Please note that SI strongly recommends its staff to get the vaccination against COVID 19, using WHO-approved vaccines. If possible, the vaccination should be done before departure, in order to reduce the future logistical constraints once on the field (administration of the 2nd dose within a certain time frame).
Please send us your CV and cover letter in English.
If you have already been technically validated by SI on the position, please mention it.
NB: the vacancy may close before the deadline.
To learn more about SI, please visit our website.