HR Wallingford is different – all our retained profits are reinvested in research, so we can offer more rewarding careers to the right candidates. We have a fantastic opportunity for the right individual to join our team of water management experts, helping to solve some of the world’s most pressing water resource-related problems.
About the Role
We are currently looking to expand our Water Resources team, based in the Flood and Water Management Group at HR Wallingford. You will be part of the team delivering consultancy projects and research in water resources, hydrology, hydrogeology, climate change impacts modelling and decision-making under uncertainty. You will be supported in your career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You will have technical knowledge and a strong interest in some or all of the following:
- A good degree in a relevant discipline (essential) e.g. Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, Geography, Environmental Engineering or Maths. A higher degree in a water related discipline would also be advantageous;
- Technical knowledge and a strong interest in hydrology, hydrogeology, water quality, water resources including the application and/or development of numerical models and the water environment;
- Some programming experience (skills in Python and/or the R statistical package would be useful, together with an interest in using these skills in the development and implementation of innovative solutions to water management);
- Experience and confidence in data analysis and dealing with large volume data sets;
- Experience using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) (e.g. ArcView, QGIS);
- Good attention to detail, record keeping, presentation and report writing skills;
- Ability to work within a team to deliver a common goal;
- Good communication skills.
HR Wallingford is committed to the continued professional development of staff and, as such, the successful candidate will be encouraged and supported to realise their potential though our learning and development training programme; our professional accreditation training schemes; and our mentoring scheme.
We are interested in relevant applicants looking for either part time, full time or fixed term employment. Helping our people achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us, and we would be happy to explore flexible working and job share arrangements. Please talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We deliver smart solutions wherever water interacts with people, infrastructure and the environment. Our specialist research and consultancy services help to protect vulnerable communities, improve lives and create resilience in the built and natural environments.
It’s our exceptional people that make us who we are. We are a diverse team, working together to push the boundaries of conventional thinking. We are innovators, bridging the gap between academia and industry. As a not-for-profit company, we don’t have shareholders; instead our profits are used to fuel our research and to develop our people, our tools and our technology. We value the independence this brings us; we have the freedom to make decisions that sustain our colleagues, our business and our environment in the long term, creating a company that we are all proud to be part of.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our workplace. We do not discriminate, and work to create an inclusive culture across our business.
Our excellent benefits package includes:
- A defined contribution pension scheme with minimum 10% contribution from the employer (up to 15% with matched funding)
- 22 days holiday, plus three days discretionary company holiday and eight bank holidays,
- Permanent health insurance (subject to eligibility rules).
- Flexible working hours which allows for additional leave to be taken subject to hours accrued and business needs
- Onsite restaurant, gym and nursery.
- Active sports and social club.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Employee Assistance Programme