SKILLS: Hydrology/hydraulics, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, GIS, etc.
EXPERIENCE: 15+ years preferred
LOCATION: Utica, NY preferred; other offices or remote with periodic office visits will be considered.
Reward yourself—work for a company that appreciates you.
Do you enjoy challenging work and project variety? Are you interested in applying your talents to formulate innovative solutions for the water resource and energy sectors?
If so, Gomez and Sullivan Engineers would like to hear from you. We are a small, growing water resources consulting firm with a national reputation for excellence. We are seeking motivated individuals committed to continuing this tradition.
Gomez and Sullivan is a growing, employee owned engineering and environmental science company working at the intersection of renewable energy and environmental restoration. We plan to continue our sustainable growth for current and future generations of our employees. We are a multi-disciplined team of engineers, scientists, technicians, and support staff that promotes close coordination and team building. Our company is employee-focused and encourages an atmosphere of continued learning, exposure to a wide variety of project responsibilities, and frequent interaction with the firm’s principals. We firmly believe in treating our team members as well as we treat our clients, and we maintain a personable, positive work environment.
Our office locations (Utica, Albany, Buffalo NY and Henniker, NH) offer reasonable costs of living, a variety of restaurants and shops, excellent schools and colleges, as well as great outdoor recreational opportunities nearby.
Our company has an immediate opening for a Senior Water Resources Engineer with extensive experience in hydrologic and hydraulic modeling for watershed, river, reservoir, and dam studies at our Utica, NY location. Hydrology and hydraulics are key elements of our nation’s renewable energy sector. The ideal candidate will lead projects and conduct complex analyses such as real-time flood forecasting, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modeling for hydraulic structures, large river basin runoff modeling, dam break analysis, and two-dimensional riverine hydraulic modeling. The selected candidate will also perform advanced modeling, including customizing models through scripts. We are seeking a committed, detail-oriented individual to utilize their knowledge and experience, as well as current software technologies, for our clients’ immediate and future projects.
- Hydraulic modeling using 1D and 2D HEC-RAS, as well as FLOW-3D CFD models, for dam safety and rehabilitation studies/design, floodplain mapping, dam break analyses, river restoration, fish passage design, dam removal, and other projects
- Hydrologic modeling using HEC-HMS or similar to develop flows for hydraulic models
- Operations modeling and energy analyses using HEC-ResSim or similar for the development, upgrading, or relicensing of hydroelectric projects
- Scripting to support customization of models and data processing
- Leading technical discussions with regulators and clients as well as at public meetings
- Technical writing for project documents, as well as review of junior engineers’ technical writing
- Technical review, guidance, and mentoring for junior engineers in their project work and development
- Marketing of professional services, proposal writing, cost estimating, and project scheduling
- Project management
- BS in civil engineering or other appropriate field (MS preferred)
- Registered as a Professional Engineer and committed to maintaining registrations in multiple northeast and mid-Atlantic states to support our regional business practice
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 15+ years of experience preferred
- H&H technical background and extensive experience with:
- Hydrologic modeling software such as HEC-HMS, HydroCAD, TR-20, TR-55, or similar
- Hydraulic modeling software such as HEC-RAS, MIKE, River2D, FLOW-3D, or similar multidimensional analysis programs
- Operations modeling software such as HEC-ResSim, OASIS, CHEOPS, or similar
- Data visualization software such as ArcGIS, AutoCAD, ParaView, or similar
- Scripting in Python, Jython, Java, or similar programming languages
- Dam safety, hydropower, flood control, and/or fish passage experience required
- Additional experience with any of the following a plus:
- climate change
- natural channel design
- streambank protection
- flood forecasting
- storm drainage
- fluvial geomorphology
- survey and bathymetry
- natural sciences
Gomez and Sullivan offers a competitive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive vacation benefits
- Paid sick leave for all employees, including ability to establish an extended medical leave account
- Education assistance programs
- 401K and profit sharing
- Long-term disability
Our offices are currently following a hybrid schedule to evaluate the beneficial aspects of both in-office and remote work.
Gomez and Sullivan has been providing specialized engineering, environmental science, and data management solutions to the water resource and energy sectors since 1993. Our staff of approximately 50 individuals based in New York (Utica, Buffalo, Albany) and New Hampshire (Henniker) provides core services including dam safety, engineering, hydropower licensing, environmental studies, hydrology and hydraulics, fisheries and fish passage, stream and habitat restoration, and information management and geographic information systems.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, disability, marital status, or any other protected status.
If you qualify and are interested in joining our team, please submit your resume and cover letter addressed to Leah Belanger.