SKILLS: Dam safety evaluations and design; key member of a dam safety practice leadership team
EXPERIENCE: 20+ years preferred
LOCATION: Utica, NY preferred; other offices or remote with periodic office visits will be considered
Reward yourself—work for a company that appreciates you.
Do you enjoy challenging work and project variety? Are you interested in applying your talents to design innovative solutions for the water resource and energy sectors?
If so, Gomez and Sullivan Engineers would like to hear from you. We have a growing regional practice in the Northeast and a national reputation for excellence in engineering relative to dams and hydropower projects. We are seeking motivated individuals committed to continuing this tradition.
Gomez and Sullivan is a growing, employee-owned engineering and environmental science company working at the intersection of renewable energy and environmental restoration. We plan to continue our sustainable growth for current and future generations of our employees. We are a multi-disciplined team of civil, water resources, and structural engineers as well as scientists, technicians, and support staff that promotes close coordination and team building. Our company is employee-focused and encourages an atmosphere of continued learning, exposure to a wide variety of project responsibilities, and frequent interaction with the firm’s principals. We firmly believe in treating our team members as well as we treat our clients, and we maintain a personable, positive work environment.
Our office locations offer reasonable costs of living, a variety of restaurants and shops, excellent schools and colleges, many cultural events, as well as great outdoor recreational opportunities nearby.
Our company has an immediate opening for a Senior Dam Safety Engineer at our Utica, NY office. The ideal candidate will be a Professional Engineer with a strong background in the geotechnical aspects of dam safety evaluations and design. Approval as a FERC Part 12 Independent Consultant or the requisite experience to qualify for approval is required. Experience conducting risk-based analyses for dam safety inspections is desirable. We are seeking a committed, detail-oriented individual to utilize their knowledge and experience for our clients’ immediate and future projects.
- Oversee, coordinate, and direct design teams for FERC and state-regulated projects
- Perform dam safety evaluations and design, including FERC Part 12 inspections
- Perform earthen embankment design and geotechnical evaluation of earthen dams (large and small), as well as civil works projects
- Develop geotechnical monitoring and testing programs as well as analysis of results
- Develop and/or review construction sequencing, design plans and specifications, and permit applications for dam-related civil projects
- Lead technical discussions with regulators and clients as well as at public meetings
- Technical writing for project documents, as well as review of other engineers’ technical writing
- Technical guidance and mentoring for other engineers in their project work and professional development
- Marketing of professional services, proposal writing, cost estimating, and project scheduling
- BS in civil or geotechnical engineering, or other appropriate field (MS preferred)
- Registered as a Professional Engineer and committed to maintaining registrations in multiple northeastern states to support our regional business practice
- Qualified to become a FERC Part 12 inspector immediately, if not already approved
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Training and/or experience in risk-based analysis desired
- 20+ years of experience preferred in the following areas:
- Project management
- Geotechnical engineering related to dams and water retaining structures
- Dam safety evaluations and design
- Development, implementation, and evaluation of geotechnical investigation, testing, and monitoring programs
- Evaluation of earthquake response of embankments
- Client interaction and staff mentoring
- Proposal development
- Familiarity with federal and state dam safety standards/guidelines desired
- Experience with other aspects of dam safety, such as grouting repairs, hydrology/hydraulics, and/or structural engineering a plus
Gomez and Sullivan offers a competitive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive vacation benefits
- Paid sick leave for all employees, including ability to establish an extended medical leave account
- Education assistance programs
- 401K and profit sharing
- Long-term disability
Our offices are currently following a hybrid schedule to evaluate the beneficial aspects of both in-office and remote work.
Gomez and Sullivan has been providing specialized engineering, environmental science, and data management solutions to the water resource and energy sectors since 1993. Our staff of approximately 50 individuals based in New York (Utica, Buffalo, Albany) and New Hampshire (Henniker) provides core services including dam safety, engineering, hydropower licensing, environmental studies, hydrology and hydraulics, fisheries and fish passage, stream and habitat restoration, and information management and geographic information systems.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, disability or marital status.
If you qualify and are interested in joining our team, please submit your resume and cover letter addressed to Leah Belanger.