North York Moors National Park Authority helps to look after one of the most phenomenal parts of the British Isles. Filled with picture book villages and breath-taking scenery, the North York Moors is a unique area with a rich diversity of landscape and ecosystems.
We’re now looking for a River Esk Catchment Partnership Officer to support enhancements to the River Esk for a three year fixed term contract.
– Salary of £20,903 – £23,541
– Local government pension scheme
– 24 days’ annual leave
– Based in Helmsley office with some travel around the Park
This is an incredible opportunity for an ecology or environmental science professional with a strong grasp of river processes, restoration and freshwater ecology to advance their career with this vital programme of work.
The Esk is a vital watercourse in North Yorkshire, flowing through nearly 30 miles of rural land and providing a home to a wealth of wildlife, a rare spawning ground for salmon and trout and supporting a rare population of Freshwater Pearl Mussels. It is vital to protect the delicate balance of the river to support these species.
With great historic value as well as the vital ecological worth, the Esk and its catchment is a pivotal watercourse, ecology and environment that must be carefully managed and improved to ensure we do not lose its inhabitants nor its intrinsic value. And that’s where you come in.
Keep reading to find how you can support the Esk and help North York Moors retain this vital environment.
As the River Esk Catchment Partnership Officer, you will be tasked with delivering a programme of works to improve the River Esk and other water bodies within the catchment area.
Specifically, you will work to benefit salmonids and Freshwater Pearl Mussels, focusing on restoring water bodies to high chemical and ecological status.
Working with the North York Moors National Park Trust, the Conservation Team and external partners, you will deliver a suite of projects including grants and land manager advice relating to improvements in the freshwater environment.
Your role will also involve:
– Delivering a range of practical work, setting up agreements focusing on the Esk and coastal streams
– Developing a catchment-wide juvenile fish monitoring programme
– Supporting the ‘Discovering the Esk’ projects
– Setting up a monitoring, evaluation and recording programme and plan for new projects
– Helping to develop funding plans for the continuation of work on the Esk
To be considered as the River Esk Catchment Partnership Officer, you will need:
– To be educated to degree level or equivalent in an appropriate subject such as ecology, environmental science and at least two years’ experience in a relevant field
– Knowledge of river processes, river restoration and freshwater ecology to include a working knowledge of salmonids and Freshwater Pearl Mussels
– Relevant experience of working in rural areas with land managers, volunteers, partner organisations and communities in implementing countryside conservation projects
– Experience of partnership working
– Working knowledge of GIS packages
– Report writing and research skills
– Evidence of continued professional development
– Full suite of ICT skills including the use of emails, word processing, spreadsheets and database packages effectively
An understanding of current issues facing rural areas including economic, community and cultural issues would be beneficial to your application. Hands on experience of electro fishing is desirable as is a knowledge and understanding of conducting surveys in the field for juvenile salmonids, water quality, freshwater invertebrates, and river habitats.
Other organisations may call this role Environmental Partnership Officer, Environmental Programme Officer, Environmental Project Manager, Conservation Project Manager, or Conservation Programme Officer.
Applications must be completed by midnight on 19th July 2021
Interviews are to be held on Monday 26th July 2021
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a River Esk Catchment Partnership Officer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.