plash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “We clean water for kids.” Small, young and growing, Splash is in a unique position to be groundbreaking in the global health and WASH sectors, able to try new approaches to address the needs of urban kids. In nine years, we have brought and continue to ensure safe drinking water to over 360,000 children in cities around the world.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
• People – People first. People second. People third.
• Quality – Beautiful products that function and last.
• Honesty – No drama, no surprises, no BS.
• Joy – Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
• Mistakes – Make them, don’t repeat them.
The Country Director will develop the strategy, and form key government relationships and other partnerships to ensure continued momentum and success of Splash’s work in Nepal. The Country Director will work closely with Splash’s Program Director and other staff to influence Splash’s overall strategic direction and adapt the strategy to the Nepal context. Locally sustainable programs are a top priority, including further refinement of Splash’s social enterprise model.
The Country Director will directly manage staff (program managers and finance manager) and will provide oversight and communicate programmatic standards to local implementation partners. The Country Director must have extensive knowledge of international development in Nepal including relevant local government regulations and relationships.
This position requires strong leadership skills and ability to build strong external relationships with government officials, NGO partners, and funders. The Country Director has the opportunity to break new ground in the nonprofit water sector by working to refine and scale Splash’s programs in the Kathmandu Valley and create and implement innovative solutions in the field of urban water, health, sanitation and hygiene for children.
- Establish and maintain a broad and active external network, including government/education officials, NGO, INGO, civil society, local suppliers/vendors, corporate connections and other partnerships
- Collaborate and meet regularly as appropriate with leadership of local implementation partners
- Engage senior government planners and relevant ministries and the community to help make the work of Splash Nepal part of mainstream government policy and ensure that schools get the needed support to enable greater impact and speedy and efficient delivery of WASH in schools
- Engage the local private sector in mobilizing resources to support the work of Splash Nepal including attaining greater visibility of our work
- Further explore and expand the social business model to raise additional resources with focus on making partner schools self sufficient in covering operations and maintenance costs
- Work to develop and deliver Splash standards for effective replication
- Help innovate for greater impact and efficiency based on lessons and learning from the Nepal experience and Splash globally
- Refine and shape Splash Nepal’s program strategy and ensure that it remains aligned with the overall vision, strategy and objectives of Splash International
- Serve as a visible and passionate advocate for 100% coverage and long-term sustainability of WASH in schools
- Provide oversight and management of program objectives, grant agreements, and program partnerships, including achievement of milestones and quality standards
- Gather feedback to inform program/project standards
- Ensure that the use of funds is consistent, well documented, and in alignment with the intended use of those funds and with established laws and procedures
- Provide timely and accurate financial reports as needed
- Provide leadership support for activities related to inventory importation, customs clearance and tax exemption (where applicable)
- Ensure that all staff understand Splash’s mission and strategy, and maintain a shared sense of purpose around WASH in schools
- Build a high performing team through hiring, management, oversight, and mentoring of staff
- Collaborate with Splash International Program Managers (Hygiene, Monitoring & Evaluation, etc.) on program design
Compensation & Benefits
Annual salary for this position will be established at time of hire, and will be reviewed at least annually.
Education, Experience, & Personal Characteristics
A qualified candidate must have a BA or BS in Public Health, Global Health, Education, or Community/International Development (Masters preferred) and at least 10 years of work experience including 5-7 years in international development and at least three years managing regional or country staff. WASH experience is preferred. In addition, candidates must have demonstrated ability to effectively manage staff and programs, as well as experience creating and implementing program strategies and budgets, including appropriate oversight for financial tracking and reporting.
Desired Attributes Include
- Exhibit absolute integrity, honesty, openness and sound judgment
- Be at home with kids and child-centered projects. You are fun, outgoing, enthusiastic, and not afraid to be silly! You love to jump into the mix, play their games and have fun
- Part of a team – you enjoy collaboration and have a genuine interest in learning from and developing others
- Innovative and creative: you constantly seek better ways to accomplish objectives
- Excellent communicator, with the ability to listen, communicate effectively, and build trust with a wide variety of internal and externals constituents
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment
- Think critically and put a high value on offering and receiving constructive feedback and criticism
- Have a deep belief in and passion for WASH in schools and the children we serve