Project Leader (WASH)
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
The Project Leader will lead the implementation of the project “Beyond the Finish Line - Inclusive and sustainable rural water supply services” funded by DFAT (Australia) as part of the Water for Women fund which seeks to lead practice globally in gender and socially inclusive analysis, design and program delivery in WASH. The project is being implemented in partnership with Institute of Sustainable Futures (ISF)/University of Technology Sydney. The project period is from July 2018 – December 2022 and aims to contribute to improved health, gender equality, social inclusion, and well-being of the rural communities in Nepal by supporting inclusive, sustainable, and resilient rural water supply services and hygiene promotion in two districts directly benefitting 40,000 people and 30 institutions. These districts are strategically chosen in two new provinces, with a total of 6.5 million people, and include both gravity-fed and ground water systems. SNV’s WASH programmes are based upon the principle that access to water, sanitation and hygiene is a human right, and that local government is the duty bearer of that right. SNV’s role is to strengthen the capacity of local actors and systems to enable these rights within the population in their area. The project outcomes are as follows:
- Improved capacity of local government to lead multi-stakeholder sector planning, monitoring and targeting of investments following the human rights principles using evidence-based, transparent, and gender and socially inclusive decision-making.
- Improved performance of rural water supply implementers (construction of schemes) and operators of waters supply services to provide gender and socially inclusive, resilient, and sustainable water supply services.
- Strengthened post-construction support services, on technical, management, financial and social aspects for operators to deliver gender and socially inclusive, resilient, and sustainable water supply services.
- Improved capacity of local government to implement evidence-based inclusive and accessible hygiene SBCC around key behaviours such as hand-washing with soap (HWWS), MHM, cleanliness of toilets, safe water use and conservation at households, schools, and health facilities, and address social norms and attitudes.
- National learning and harmonisation by using project learnings to develop role models for gender and socially inclusive, resilient, and sustainable services and wider gender and socially inclusive outcomes.
- Improved leadership, voice, and choice of women, people with disabilities, and people who are socially excluded in households, communities, and institutions by mainstreaming the “GESI lense” in all programme components and targeting tailored initiatives for people who may be disadvantaged.
Overall Purpose of the Job:
SNV Nepal is seeking a senior WASH professional in the position of Project Leader to oversee the implementation of the project on inclusive and sustainable rural water supply services in line with agreed project documentation. The Project Leader will be responsible for the implementation of activities related to the project delivery including staff management, project planning, budgeting, implementation, evaluation, and supporting donor reporting. S/he will provide technical leadership on overall strategic development as well as specific technical inputs for all project activities linked to the project outcomes. S/he will be responsible for supporting a range of assessments related to gender, social inclusive, and climate resilient rural water supply services to guide an evidence-based process in project development. S/he will develop staff and implementing partner capacities in project implementation.
The Project Leader will have a significant role in the review of the performance monitoring and evaluation framework for rural water supply in general and for the project specifically. S/he will be well informed about and contribute to relevant international knowledge networks and lead the development of quality knowledge products through the project learnings and their dissemination through different channels together with knowledge partners and senior advisors.
The Project Leader will further develop the required networks with national and sub-national stakeholders including government, INGOs and development partners, local NGOs, private sector, and special interest groups linked to gender equality and social inclusion and climate resilient rural water supply services. S/he will engage in various types of partnerships including collaborations, sub-contracting, and/or joint implementation.
The Project Leader will work closely with the senior management and knowledge partner ISF as well as other key collaborating partners directly linked to the project including, IWMI Nepal, and individual consultants, etc.
The Project Leader will report to SNV Nepal WASH Sector Leader in-country and the Multi-Country Project Manager for the “Beyond the Finish Line” based in Australia. The Project Leader will be based in Kathmandu with frequent travel to the districts.
- Master’s degree in relevant field with qualifications in engineering.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in implementing (rural) water supply programmes.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in project management.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Proven track record and/or demonstrated knowledge in implementing activities linked to most or all of the stated project outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience in developing quality donor reports, project documents, and knowledge products in English.
- Demonstrated knowledge of monitoring and evaluation and its application for project development.
- Demonstrated knowledge, commitment and understanding of gender equality and social inclusive principles and approaches to water service delivery.
- Proven ability to understand and facilitate capacity building activities.
- Demonstrated creativity, willingness to innovate, and to think systematically and strategically.
- Demonstrated experience in stakeholder engagement and networking including government, I/NGOs, private sector, development partners.
- Willingness to travel in remote areas.
- Commitment to child protection principles and practice.
Contract Type: National / International - Highly competent Nepali nationals get preference over international candidates.
Contract Duration: 1 year with the possibility of extension depending on performance
Job Level : Senior
Expected Start Date: ASAP
Duty Station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Working at SNV:
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of WASH experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply:
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation before August 21, 2018.