We are looking for an experienced individual to join our EHU (Emergency Health Unit) team as WASH Manager, playing a key role in supporting the Save the Children Humanitarian Health, Nutrition, HIV and WASH Strategy to improve humanitarian response.
The Emergency Health Unit is an ambitious, high priority new initiative within Save the Children which has seen us invest in specialist health and operations teams, covering both primary and secondary health care across the world. The unit ensures a pre-standing emergency health capacity, including medical supplies, logistics and skilled medical personnel to deploy anywhere in the world in the event of a major disaster or conflict.
Emergency health teams are resourced to deliver primary/secondary health clinics, epidemic responses, nutrition and mass vaccination programmes in emergencies supporting country programmes and larger SC humanitarian responses. The teams are able to deploy as required anywhere in the world.
As WASH Manager you will lead on all technical aspects supporting the WASH activities for an effective Emergency Response including WASH facilities for Cholera Treatment Centre, nutrition treatment facilities, primary/secondary health care services including mobile clinics and disease outbreaks. As WASH Manager you will also be tasked with recruitment and training of WASH officers, Health promoters and Hygienists on operation. You will also:
- Provide rapid assessments of WASH related needs in emergencies
- Contribute to the specification of WASH kit contents for EHU teams and liaise closely with logistics for procurement
- Undergo programme specific training to contribute to the team
- Support country teams to prepare for emergencies
- Develop waste management and infection prevention control (IPC) measures
- Contribute to donor proposals and WASH components of donor and organisational reports.
To be successful you will have extensive experience working in a WASH management role within a complex country programme with donor and budget constraints in an emergency response. You will have experience working in a Cholera Treatment Centre as well as experience working in infectious disease outbreak. You will also have:
- Previous experience of health care facility, water, sanitation, wastewater, waste management and waste disposal
- Previous experience managing a WASH team at a national level
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- The ability to work both in an advisory and a hand on implementation capacity
- Experience of preparing successful funding proposals for donors and demonstrable ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach staff.
A Masters level degree in Public Health, Water Engineering or a related subject and proficiency in a 2nd language, ie French or Arabic, is desirable.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including a hardship allowance and, when applicable, an expensive posting allowance, 35 days annual leave, accommodation on deployment, comprehensive business travel insurance ,up to £500 a year for routine medical treatment in addition to the insurance and long term saving plan with 3% employee/ 5% of gross salary employer contribution.
At Save the Children our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. If you share our mission, are passionate about making it happen and strongly believe you can contribute then join us and we’ll give you every opportunity to succeed. We look forward to hearing from you.
Please be aware applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, as and when applications are submitted. Therefore, early applications are encouraged.
Closing date: 19th August, 2018
Save the Children UK is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting and providing equal opportunities in employment. To see our full statement please visit this link: https://jobs.savethechildren.org.uk/our-policies/diversity/
Save the Children UK has a comprehensive benefits package. To see our full offer please visit this link: https://jobs.savethechildren.org.uk/what-we-offer/
Interview expenses: Candidates should note that unfortunately it is not our policy to reimburse expenses accrued when attending interviews at Save the Children UK unless you are requested to attend an interview in an alternative location to where the role is based.
Pre-employment Checks: Any Employment with Save the Children UK will be subject to the following checks prior to your start date:
- a satisfactory police record check to include a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and/or an International Criminal Record Check (If applicable)
- receipt of satisfactory references
- proof of eligibility to work in the national location for this role