It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
WaterAid is looking for a Policy and Research Advisor to play a vital role in contributing towards our mission to transform lives with safe water, sanitation and hygiene in Mozambique’s unserved communities.
Reporting to the Governance and Policy Manager, the Policy and Research Advisor is responsible for:
- Providing thought leadership on a credible policy agenda to further WaterAid Mozambique’s ambition to achieve change at local, provincial, and national levels to ensure everyone everywhere has access to water, sanitation, and hygiene.
- Advising WaterAid and influencing government through engaging with counterparts on the development and implementation of WASH sector policies.
- Supporting WaterAid Mozambique on sector coordination, fiscal decentralisation, and sustainability.
- Contributing to the mainstreaming of policy interventions, including supporting and facilitating rights-based approaches in the programmes, and enhancing capacity of programme teams in that aspect.
To be successful, you’ll need:
- A Master’s Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Political Science, International development or equivalent.
- Extensive professional experience in a reputable international or national non-governmental organization (NGO).
- Experience working with local decision makers (government officials, mayors, and board of supervisors, etc.) and a very good understanding of the institutional and political landscape in Mozambique.
- Working knowledge and understanding of governance and good practice from public, private or voluntary sector.
- Demonstrated effective policy development and influencing skills with the ability to negotiate complicated political situations effectively and using partnerships effectively to achieve shared aims.
- Knowledge of policy in WASH sector in Mozambique, good political judgement, and initiative, for making decisions autonomously or advising others on the most effective course of action.
Please click “Apply” to download the full Job Description.
How to apply?
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a**letter of interest** (1 page) and a CV (Maximum 4 pages) to**[email protected], using Policy and Research Advisor as the subject of the email by the25th of June 2021**.
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Mozambique.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.
How to apply