Moldova nationals: Project Assistant - Study on environment and social impacts on the territory of Moldova as result of functioning and expansion of Dniestrovsc hydropower complex in Ukraine
The project aims to support the Moldovan Government's efforts to avoid further environmental degradation and likely negative socio-economic impacts resulting from functioning the Dnestrovsk HPC, through provision of support in the course of the negotiation of inter Government Agreement between Moldova and Ukraine on functioning of Dnestrovsk Hydro Power Complex in Ukraine
The Overall Objective of the project is to protect and effectively manage the water resources of Dniester River in a sustainable and transboundary collaborative manner.
The Specific Objectives are:
- To ensure that Government of the Republic of Moldova is fully prepared for negotiations on the Agreement on functioning of the Dniester HPC.
- To contribute to public awareness raising and involvement in protection of the Dniester River.
Three outputs shall be produced under the Dniester Project. These are:
- Output 1. Detailed Study on current and potential environmental and socio-economic impacts on the territory of Moldova resulting from operation of the hydro power generation facilities on the Dniester River elaborated, and the findings widely distributed
- Output 2. Capacities of the Moldovan negotiation team enhanced
- Output 3. Public awareness raised, and transparency of the transboundary management of the Dniester River increased
Along above-mentioned objectives to be achieved, implementation of the Project shall also contribute to improvement of the Moldo-Ukrainian transboundary cooperation by providing at both parties better understanding of the
- management objectives for the large scale hydro power infrastructure based on the improved knowledge of long-term negative environmental and socio-economic impacts on the downstream region,
- water resources management in a transboundary context, and
- state of the art requirement and proper due diligence
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager the incumbent assists in the effective and efficient management of the project through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Assistant applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Project Assistant works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Provide support to international consultants in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results (communication, contracts, agenda, visas, hotel reservations, etc);
- Maintain records on all project personnel/national consultants and their respective status (contracts, ToRs, time and attendance – if appropriate, etc.) in accordance with accepted policies and procedures;
- Prepare and issue contracts;
- Make pertinent logistical arrangements for the prompt and effective implementation of the programme activities;
- Draft minutes of Project Board and other project related meetings;
- Assume overall responsibility for administrative matters of a more general nature, such as registry and maintenance of project files and records;
- Arrange external and internal meetings (including the meetings of the Project Board, Technical level, as well as other relevant meetings etc.).
- Prepare requests for advance of funds and/or direct payments;
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions;
- Prepare and submit expenditure and programme budget status reports;
- Respond to queries from the beneficiary, donors and UNDP with respect to financial aspects of the programme, liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparations and audit;
- Advise and assist international advisors and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks on an ad hoc basis.
- In accordance with the Work Plan arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Process in ATLAS the transactions in line with the Internal Control Framework;
- Arrange for equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP procedures;
- Physically clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for the various programme sites;
- Maintain an equipment and spare inventory including verification and transfer when required.
Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Proven ability to problem-solve, and think creatively to develop and implement smart business solutions in a challenging socio-economic environment
- Ability to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government required. Excellent interpersonal skills are essential part of the job.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in economics, law, public administration or other related field.
- At least two years of experience in administrative work, accounting/finance, economics, or other substantive area is required.
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company, or NGO is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Russian and Romanian is a must.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language is an asset.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.