Regional Hydromet System Coordinator for Eastern Nile
Nile Basin Initiative has recieved funding from the EU-BMZ (Germany) Project: “Support to transboundary water cooperation in the Nile Basin”. The Nile-SEC intends to recruit a Regional Hydromet System Coordinator for Eastern Nile, with the following job description;
i. Scope of work
1. Implementation start-up activities in the Eastern Nile:
Provide expertise and technical oversight to the start-up, implementation and operationalization of the regional Nile Basin Hydromet System.
Develop a milestone plan that broadly outlines the approach and implementation activities, the required coordination among NBI centres, Eastern Nile countries.
Plan, organize and facilitate consultations with national stakeholders and the regional expert working group to ensure that the final hydromet system design specs meets the requirements of each NBI member country
2. Update the design specifications and implementation plan: it is foreseen that the design specs and implementation plan prepared in 2015 will be revisited and, as required, updated to ensure that the design specifications are compatible with current technologies and benefits from improvements in technologies as well as fully aligned to the national hydromet systems in the Eastern Nile.
3. Support the procurement of consultants and contractors to implement the hydromet system and organize regional expert working group meetings for review and evaluation of bid documents;
4. Oversee the installation and testing of the hydromet system in Eastern Nile countries, ensuring that all components work together. Ensure that the national hydrological services agencies’ field and office staff are adequately conversant with the installation, testing, troubleshooting and operationalization of the system;
5. Supervise the final testing and operational handing over of the hydromet system in each Eastern Nile countries (Ethiopia, South Sudan and Sudan;
6. Develop detailed specifications of basin monitoring information products and provide technical expertise in the preparation and dissemination of information products in the first year of implementation and improved versions every successive year.
ii. Academic/Professional Qualification:
a) At least M.Sc. in water resources engineering, hydraulic engineering, hydrology, civil engineering (with specialization in hydrology or water resources) or closely related fields; Specialized training on hydro-meteorological monitoring systems design is a requirement. Ph.D. in the same fields is an added an added advantage.
b) Experience Required: At least 05 years of relevant experience (after MSc) in river basin management , water resources management; At least 7 years of experience (after MSc) with the design and implementation and management of hydro-meteorological systems; At least 6 years of hands-on experience with the design and implementation and management of hydro-meteorological systems; Demonstrated experience in on-site implementation, configuration and operationalization of comparable hydrological monitoring equipment is required; Hands-on experience in remote sensing and GIS is advantage;
iii. Duty Station / Duration:
This position shall be contracted by Nile-SEC and seconded to the Eastern Nile. S/He shall be stationed at ENTRO and work closely with NBI centers under the overall supervision of the DED-HBWP/WRM of the Nile-Sec. The Regional Coordinator reports to the DED-HBWP/WRM or his designate. The duration of the employment shall be 3 years (six months’ probation period) renewed annually based on satisfactory performance.
How to apply: Interested and qualified individuals are advised to download the full details of this assignment and person specifications here . Interested applicants are advised to submit applications electronically to the Executive Director through . Application/cover letter indicating the title of the assignment accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae should reach the Executive Director not later than 12:00 pm (Local Time in Entebbe, Uganda) on 17th August, 2018. Please clearly indicate a minimum of three referees and two former employers excluding the current employer with their full contacts. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.