The International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) is an independent think tank that delivers the knowledge to act. Our mission is to promote human development and environmental sustainability. Our big-picture view allows us to address the root causes of some of the greatest challenges facing our planet today—ecological destruction, social exclusion, unfair laws and economic rules, a changing climate. With offices in Winnipeg, Geneva, Ottawa, Toronto and New York, our work affects lives in nearly 100 countries.
IISD hosts the Secretariat for the National Adaptation Plan (NAP) Global Network, which connects individuals and institutions working to enhance NAP processes in developing countries. Initial financial support for the Network has been provided by Germany and the United States.
IISD is seeking to recruit a Communications Assistant for the NAP Global Network. The Communications Assistant will be an excellent writer who is adept at digital media and has a talent for making complex ideas accessible. The Communications Assistant will also be a strong organizer and multi-tasker with a keen interest in climate change, international affairs and sustainable development.
- Writing newsletters, news releases, web copy and other content as needed
- Maintaining websites built using WordPress and Drupal via content management systems
- Managing databases of contacts and supporting outreach to Network members
- Organizing, promoting and providing technical support for webinars
- Ensuring that NAP Global Network communications products are correctly branded, drawing on the branding guidelines and noting which funders are involved
- Assisting the IISD communications team in developing stories, infographics and videos that make the Resilience program’s work accessible to non-expert audiences
- Coordinating the editing and formatting of new publications and assisting with their dissemination
- Other duties as assigned.
The Communications Assistant will report to the Program Manager of the NAP Global Network and work closely with the Media and Communications Officer. They will also be supported by a team of communications specialists led by IISD’s Director of Communications.
- Degree in journalism, communications, public relations or other related social science discipline
- At least 1–2 years’ relevant professional experience in journalism, public relations or organizational communications
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- A demonstrated interest in climate change and sustainable development
- Ability to travel overseas
- Experience and comfort working with online content management systems and website monitoring (especially WordPress, Google Analytics)
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Computer literacy – proficiency with the Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
- French and/or Spanish language skills are a strong asset
- Candidate must be currently eligible to work in Canada.
The contract is for a full-time one-year term position with possibilities of extension in our Ottawa office. Please note that the successful candidate should be available to start work by early September.
All submissions must be in English.
IISD is committed to equal opportunity. Candidates must hold appropriate work authorization for Canada. Only those candidates we wish to interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: Wednesday, August 15, 1PM CST
Compensation: $45,000.00 CAD annually