Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions.
Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9)
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. AS to NS or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first performance review after staff has completed at least one full year in the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new position.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Environment, Natural Resources & Agriculture Division (SEER) within the Southeast Asia Department (SERD). SERD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Southeast Asian region. SEER is responsible for policy development, knowledge management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work, and loan and technical assistance processing and administration in the agriculture, natural resources and rural development (ANR) sector.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Water Resources Specialist will formulate and articulate policy and strategies on water resources development and its impact on agricultural, and rural and urban development engage developing member country (DMC) governments in policy dialogue; and conduct ADB’s activities to support integrated water resources management , irrigated agriculture development, and flood management incorporating climate change resilience and adaptation activities. S/he will identify and develop loans, grants, technical assistance (TAs) projects, and non-lending products and services, and provide technical support and backstopping to other staff. The incumbent will report to the Director of SEER and may supervise one or more National and Administrative Staff.
- Contribute to the development of strategies for water resources development, irrigated agriculuture, and flood management with climate change adaptation in DMCs, in consultation with relevant government agencies and Resident Missions (RMs).
- Contribute to the development, processing and administration of loan, grant and TA projects in the water sector, and ensure key technical, economic, financial and crosscutting issues are incorporated into projects.
- Conduct dialogue with government officials of DMCs on water resources development, irrigated agriculuture, and flood management, and development policy.
- Contribute to ADB efforts to reduce rural poverty by identifying and designing innovative participatory approaches to environmentally, socially, and financially sustainable water resource development and rural poverty reduction, and substantially contribute to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building around water resources development issues.
- Contribute to CPSs and COBPs, and provide inputs as required in formulating a country result framework and profile. Contribute to preparation of sector result framework and profile for the water resources, and agriculture and rural development sectors.
- Liaise with and coordinate with development agencies on program loans and investment projects.
- Keep abreast of the latest development in international, subregional, and national best practices for sustainable water resources development, and participate in ADB-wide teams concerned with water management and related environmental and natural resource management issues.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree or equivalent in civil engineering specializing in the water resources development or other related fields; University degree in civil engineering or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience in water resources development projects including irrigated agriculture, flood risks management, and land management.
- Strong understanding and practical application of the technical, policy, institutional, and participatory principles of sustainable, integrated water resources management, including participatory irrigation management, and asset management and operation and maintenance.
- Strong analytical abilities, multidisciplinary competence, and proven ability to organize, lead, and manage project teams.
- Strong understanding of the capacity development needs of national and local-level water agencies in the DMCs.
- Broad knowledge of cutting-edge international and national policies and programs related to water use particularly in agriculture.
- International experience working in development, with substantial experience in the water/irrigation sector in several Asian countries; preferably in multiple Southeast Asian DMCs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of ADB member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.