International Irrigation Specialist
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University degree (for Consultants)/ University Degree (for PSAs) University degree in Agriculture, Engineering or Natural Sciences with specification in irrigation and water resources development or related field;
- 10 years of relevant experience in the water sector, design of irrigation systems, rehabilitation of damaged water infrastructure, and managing of rehabilitation of irrigation projects
- Working knowledge English and limited knowledge of another FAO language, preferably Arabic
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Teamwork, including leading, engaging and empowering others
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential.
- Extent and relevance of experience and/or knowledge in relation to institutional frameworks for disaster risk reduction, early warning, risk analysis and emergency preparedness and response work.
- Experience and track record of development of normative products and public goods that promote resilience building at country level, like risk and vulnerability assessment methodologies, early warning applications or capacity development approaches;
- Knowledge and experience in planning and implementing and technically advising programmes, and projects on resilience and disaster risk reduction, including in the Middle East region, and in application of operational guidelines and programme/project management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO.
- Extent of exposure and experience in strategic programme development for resilience building;
- Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge of International frameworks relevant for resilience programming and disaster risk reduction and management ' like SDGs, SFDRR or the UNFCCC Paris Agreement and , working with partners and relevant institutions or networks in the region and beyond.
- Ability to technically guide emergency and large scale emergency events in the Middle East and provide linkages to early recovery activities and subsequent development actions in the field
- Skills and track record of resource mobilization.
- Coping with pressure: ability to work productively in a pressurized environment and within multidisciplinary and different cultural background teams.
- Working experience in an international environment, with at least 5 years in the Middle East.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage complex project activities in post conflict situations.
FAO's office for Iraq is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing countrywide food, agriculture and rural development priorities under the post conflict situation. It develops and maintains relations with the relevant Ministries at country level. The post is located in in Erbil (with visits to sites), Iraq.
The International Irrigation Specialist is responsible for conducting irrigation system rehabilitation data collection in collaboration with MoWR Baghdad, and MoAWR KRI, plus project manager for ongoing irrigation system rehabilitation projects.
Under the overall guidance of the ADG/RR of the Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE), the direct supervision of the FAO Representative in Iraq, in collaboration with TCE and in close consultation with the multidisciplinary technical team (RNE), he/she will be responsible for the development of the day-to-day management of the FAO’s water activities as defined below.
This position is work relating to water resources and irrigation development and management for agriculture and sustainable agricultural systems.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Conduct field visits to familiarize with the repair and rehabilitation works of selected farmer managed Small-Scale Irrigation Schemes (SSIS)
- Identify appropriate irrigation technologies and increase rice and other crop production by better water control, improved varieties and soil fertilisation
- Undertake feasibility study including preliminary investigations, data collection and site identification for potential irrigation development
- Increase irrigation water use efficiency and productivity by improved water control and management in the selected areas.
- Encourage greater farmer participation in operation in the respective sites to ensure sustainability of the irrigated schemes.
- Collect the essential information of improved irrigated agricultural production
- Review irrigation and rural infrastructure development reports and related investment proposals
- Map existing national agriculture and water strategies and define in them elements related to water harvesting sub-sector
- Prepare a matrix for gaps analysis and define water harvesting sub-sector related gaps, and define gaps, potentiality, and other relevant dimensions that can be derived from the analysis
- Review report of agriculture and water strategies with water harvesting sub-sector focus is produced
- Liaise with NGOs, INGOs, IOs as well as other humanitarian agencies for secondary data collection, analysing studies and assessments the stakeholders had conducted
- Prepare tender documents and project implementation guidelines for irrigation rehabilitation projects;
- Identify suitable civil contractors, issue tender bids, evaluate the contractors bids, and recommend contracts to be awarded as per FAO rules and regulations
- Monitor the civil contractors and monitor the progress of the civil works to ensure they are carried out to specification in a timely manner;
- Represent the FAO at the meetings related to irrigation with central authorities and other UN Agencies whenever requested by the FAO Representative;
- assist in reporting and preparing detailed reports on field assignments and in the preparation of field documents, progress reports and his/her end of assignment report;
- Carry out field visits in accordance with implementation requirements;
- Perform other related duties as required