Mekong WET: Building Resilience of Wetlands in the Lower Mekong Region, through a Ramsar Regional Initiative
Mekong WET will work closely with Ramsar authorities and communities in four target countries – Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand and Viet Nam – to conduct vulnerability assessments and develop management plans with a focus on resilience building at 10 existing Ramsar sites (around 3 in Thailand), while sharing lessons with the remaining 17 other sites (around 5 in Thailand). Professional in-service training will be provided for 150 personnel and grants will be provided to support collaborative action between local communities and local authorities, benefiting several thousand people. Platforms will be established for bi-lateral dialogues on trans-boundary wetlands. The target sites in Thailand include Bang Pakong river basin, and Ranong province.
The project started in January 2017 and to end in December 2020.
The Field Coordinator,Mekong WET Project will support the Head of Office, Thailand Programme in implementing the Mekong WET project activities in Thailand according to the project work plan.
The Field Coordinator, Mekong WET Project will also simultaneously support the Marine Plastics and Coastal Communities (MARPLASTICCs) implemented by IUCN Thailand Programme on technical and administrative support, as requested by the Head of Office, Thailand Programme.
1. Support the preparation of and participate in all meetings in close collaboration with the Head of Office, Thailand Programme.
2. Assist the Head of Office, Thailand Programme to coordinate with the related government agencies, local communities in the target areas, and the conservation networks, ensuring the meaningful engagement and maintaining a good relationship with all stakeholders.
3. Support translation and preparation of all related documents for Ramsar management, in Thai language.
4. Assist in preparing and developing the Wetland Management plan based on the Vulnerability Assessments for the target areas in Thailand, in close collaboration with ONEP, local consultants and local partners, with a focus on Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation.
5. Compile case studies of project supported resilience building initiatives.
6. Assist and work closely with the target communities in preparing and developing the Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation activity plans based on the consensus of Wetland Management plan.
7. Implement project activities in outreach and transboundary sites.
8. Carry out communications tasks of the project such as web stories, flyers, and brochures in close collaboration with the media agencies, conservation networks, local communities and the Head of Office, Thailand Programme.
9. Support the activities of MARPLASTICCs project and other relevant tasks, as assigned by, and mutually agreed with, the Head of Office, Thailand Programme.
|• At least Bachelor’s degree in natural resources and environmental management, environmental studies, development studies, social sciences, and/or related fields|
• At least 3 years of professional experience in community development and field coordination works;
• Good working experience in Ramsar and wetland management, conservation-oriented, policy development at the local level, and livelihoods development;
• Strong work experience in facilitation, extension and communication;
• Experience working in the related fields with local communities in the pilot areas is an advantage
• Good command of written and spoken English and Thai is essential.
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the “Apply” button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/