Context and Opportunity:
WaterNow Alliance (WaterNow) is a nonprofit network of public water utility leaders dedicated to advancing environmentally sustainable water management solutions and strategies nationwide. Our purpose is to catalyze a shift in urban water resource management – making sustainable, affordable and climate resilient water solutions the new normal. WaterNow pursues this mission by engaging and mobilizing local water decision makers who control 85% of water spending nationwide and thus hold the key to our water future. Change happens when we normalize sustainable and integrated water solutions within this cohort, empowering them to be champions locally for innovative water strategies. This requires building a vibrant network and connecting water leaders to solutions, resources, evidence of success, opportunities, and one another.
To help achieve our ambitious mission, WaterNow seeks a dynamic, outgoing, professional, and highly-organized Engagement Manager. This is a newly created position and is a critical next step in an Alliance-wide capacity-building initiative. The Manager will be responsible for building and maintaining strong relationships with WaterNow members, potential members, and other partners to advance WaterNow’s goals. In coordination with the WaterNow team, the Manager will be responsible for developing and implementing strategy to support and advance municipal water decision makers up the leadership ladder from learning to acting to leading; the goal is to grow local leadership aimed at moving communities to more environmentally friendly, affordable and resilient strategies. This is a new leadership position at a nonprofit with significant opportunity for growth and will report to the Executive Director.
Key Job Responsibilities:
· Develop and implement campaign strategies and plans for engaging water utility decision makers in WaterNow initiatives, and/or local sustainable water management initiatives.
· Relationship management, cultivation and stewardship outreach to WaterNow members, prospective members, and partner organizations.
· Analysis of campaign data and development of data-driven strategies for increasing member engagement with WaterNow offerings.
· Identify fundraising and corporate sponsorship opportunities to support specific WaterNow events and initiatives.
· Close collaboration with a broad range of people, from working with external partners on sustainable water issues and best practices, to working internally across WaterNow program areas.
- Stay current on key water issues and sustainable water management trends, and understand movement-wide issues in order to foster opportunities for WaterNow to lead collaborative efforts.
- Produce regular reports on activities and progress; provide ongoing analysis of member activities, engagement and trends.
· Create and produce content for membership segments and campaigns through WaterNow’s various communication channels (print, online, and electronic). Work with the Communications and Outreach Manager to maintain a strong, up-to-date membership presence across all channels.
· Regular travel (within the U.S.).
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate is a confident and eloquent speaker, has superior writing skills, deep experience developing partnerships that produce results, and a passion for building relationships with diverse and complex players. They are also a friendly and collaborative team player, comfortable in a high functioning and fast moving “start-up” environment. A successful candidate will be an inspiring ambassador, while also possessing the ability to collaborate in a way that fosters creativity, teamwork, a commitment to excellence, and mutual respect. The candidate must have a reputation for honesty, fairness, and high ethical standards in all aspects of professional work. The ideal candidate will be a person of high energy, inspiration, humor, creativity, enthusiasm, and optimism and is passionate about advancing environmentally sustainable water management solutions and strategies nationwide.
Specific Experience Requested:
We recognize that each applicant for this role will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences, and background to this position, lending his/her/their flair to the trajectory of WaterNow. We welcome diverse experiences and perspectives in our applicant pool, and will be looking for candidates who possess many, but not necessarily all, of the following qualifications and experience:
- Minimum 7-10 years successful work experience doing any of the following:
o Providing leadership for statewide or national network/alliance/coalition or commensurate experience.
o Demonstrating a strong track record of fostering collaborations and supporting the incubation of ideas and strategies across organizations/companies.
o Direct experience growing and leading a successful membership organization with a focus on delivering effective, strategic, and results-driven programming designed to retain and attract an engaged membership.
- Excellent communication skills for motivating and mobilizing a wide spectrum of stakeholders to support organizational objectives.
- Demonstrated effectiveness and comfort working with networks, partners, committees, volunteers, and a wide range of stakeholders including, and in particular, municipal leaders.
· Demonstrated experience in project management, as well as the ability to perform multiple tasks efficiently and accurately.
- Innovative and creative thinking including the ability to imagine the possibilities, inspire team members, and deliver results.
- Strong computer skills including above average competency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, social media; experience with Salesforce preferred.
- Supports an inclusive environment and values the individual traits, skills, and talents of all staff and volunteers.
- High level of comfort working in a small group environment with frequent team collaboration
- Experience with/knowledge of the municipal or water and wastewater sectors preferred but not required.
- Four-year college degree required.
· California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record required.
Commensurate with experience. WaterNow provides a comprehensive compensation package, including competitive salary, medical and dental benefits, generous vacation and sick leave policy. Our offices are located in the San Francisco Presidio.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply please send a compelling cover letter, writing sample and resume that describes your interest in this position, your relevant qualifications and experience, and your availability. Applications can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re a small team and we politely request no follow-up calls or emails.