Assistant Research Hydrologist
About Western Kentucky University:
Western Kentucky University aspires to be the University of choice for faculty and staff who are dedicated to helping advance academic excellence. True to its spirit, WKU offers an inviting, nurturing, and challenging work environment, which is responsive to the needs of a diverse and ambitious learning community. WKU's main campus is located on a hill overlooking the city of Bowling Green (population est. 60,000), and is acclaimed as one of the most beautiful in the nation. In addition, WKU serves the communities of Elizabethtown/Fort Knox, Glasgow and Owensboro through its regional campuses. We invite you to consider WKU as a place where your academic and professional dreams can be realized.
Western Kentucky University, Department of Geography and Geology, is seeking applications for an Assistant Research Hydrologist. This is a 12-month revenue funded position with the opportunity for renewal based on availability of funds and performance.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful applicant will join an on-going research group to provide support for commercial lab services, environmental consultation, research, and educational objectives associated with the Crawford Hydrology Laboratory.
- Perform field and laboratory duties associated with groundwater investigations including but not limited to :
- Charcoal and water sample processing
- Laboratory analysis on a Shimadzu spectrofluorophotometer
- Dye mixing and standard preparation
- Field work in industrial, urban, and remote settings via foot, boat, or all-terrain vehicle.
- Data entry and reporting
- Maintain and operate water samplers, data loggers, and other hydrologic field equipment.
- Manage (with supervision) quality assurance program.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating CHL website, posting social media updates, and writing/editing news articles as needed.
- Assist with contract and grant proposals and technical reports for commercial clients and grant projects.
- Attend conferences and meetings as CHL representative and/or exhibitor and present research.
- Assist with classroom exercises, demonstrations, workshops, and undergraduate and graduate research projects.
- Educational requirements include a Master of Science in Geoscience or related discipline.
- Experience in laboratory and fieldwork for hydrology and/or water quality research; experience in karst hydrology and fluorescent dye tracing.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Must have demonstrated good oral and written communication and computer skills to include: technical reports, spreadsheets, maps using ArcGIS, photos and graphics.
Salary Grade: 107 Salary Range: $15.31 - $16.41/hr
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, age, uniformed services, veteran status, or physical or mental disability in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify the office of Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services (EEO) at (270) 745- 5121, a minimum of five working days in advance.
The following items must be submitted through this electronic talent management system:
- Cover Letter
You will receive email confirmation that your submission has been received. The candidate review process will generally begin as materials are received. The expected hire date is on or about August 27, 2018.