UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
How can you make a difference?
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develop multi-years localized WASH strategic humanitarian plan including exit strategy and recovery/resilience framework to bridge gaps between emergency and development in Baidoa and other urban hubs.
- Develop long term 4Ws matrix with WASH Cluster partners and key ministries involved in access to water and sanitation in Baidoa and other urban hubs.
- Pro-actively engage with partners, including key ministry counterparts throughout the process of plan development to ensure a proper hand over of plans and strategies to Legal Authorities at sub-national level.
2. Develop technical guidelines and training courses to guide WASH Cluster partners throughout the process of bridging the gap between emergency response and resilience and operationalize the New Ways of Working.
3. Develop an atlas of best practices for ensuring a sustainable access to safe water and sanitation in Baidoa and other urban hubs.
- With the support of key partners, such a SWALIM and drilling specialized NGOs, collect all necessary information related to ground water, surface water, local water cycle, hydrogeological resources and soil characteristics to facilitate effective WASH strategic planning.
- Support the development of guidelines on WASH in urban and sub-urban centers, IDP settlements and crowded settings to contribute to the WASH Cluster Technical Working Group on Guidelines and Standards.
- Develop technical guidelines and training courses to guide WASH Cluster partners throughout the process of bridging the gap between emergency response and resilience.
4. Serve as a relay of the national WASH Cluster at sub-national level.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Civil Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in International Organizations including UN agencies with an emphasis on humanitarian emergency interventions with a strong background in project planning and technical design
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, water supply specific software Porteau, Aquasim, etc.)
- Experience in water sanitation and hygiene.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Somalia is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…• Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (1)• Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)• Works Collaboratively with others (2)• Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)• Innovates and Embraces Change (2)• Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)• Drives to achieve impactful results (2)• Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.