Vacancy Number: IOM-CAF/0076/2018
Position Title: Consultant – Hygiene Promoter & Community Engagement
Duty Station: Dilla/ Bulle Hora, Ethiopia
Type of Appointment: Consultancy, Three months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: August 12,2018
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting huma0ne and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment.
Under the overall direction of the ES/NFI program manager and under the direct supervision of the WASH Specialist, the successful candidate will be responsible for the successful implementation of the hygiene promotion and community engagement activities in SNNP and Oromia regions.
Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
In particular s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Support the WASH Specialist in the implementation of the hygiene promotion program for the conflict induced IDPs where IOM is implementing WASH programs this will be including but not limited to awareness raising campaign, massive campaign, school and children activities, formation of hygiene club and hygiene committees.
Prepare and or review technical document for hygiene promotion strategy, SoPs, community engagement activities standardizations.
Support in organization of soft component at field level as well as in the preparation of community plans.
Support in coordination with the WASH Clusters, other WASH agencies, government authorities/entities (water bureau and health bureau) and any other relevant stakeholder to ensure that IOM technical activities are coordinated according to agreed standards, to avoid duplication, violation of national regulations or contravention of operational agreements set by the humanitarian community in Ethiopia
Monitor the implementation of all HP and CE activities/programs, through regular visits to the areas of operation,
Coach, mentor and supervise the national HP/CE staff and make sure they are properly utilizing the resources made available in order to effectively provide services to the beneficiaries.
Ensure an effective and active communication with all the relevant stakeholders. Prepare and submit regular progress reports to the WASH Specialist indicating progress, constrains and requirements for completion in the various projects across Ethiopia
Contribute to mainstream the GBV, AAP and other cross cutting issues related aspects in every phase of the implementation of the WASH activities in close coordination with the Protection officer and WASH Project Officers.
Contribute to define standard hygiene messages, visual aid, IEC material in collaboration with the WASH and Health cluster
Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree or University degree in Public Health or any related fields from an accredited academic institution.
- Five and seven years of professional work experience is required for Masters and University degree holders respectively.
- Experience in the implementation of water, sanitation and hygiene related projects preferably in the Humanitarian Field;
- Sound knowledge of water, sanitation and hygiene principles for humanitarian assistance, and other relevant trainings;
- Excellent Monitoring and Evaluation Skills; Organizational Skills; Accuracy; Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Experience in post-crisis emergency operations;
- Knowledge of the region is an advantage.
- Thorough knowledge of English is required. Knowledge of other local languages will be advantageous.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM ( optional depending on position level)
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address [email protected], by August 12, 2018 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn’t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!