ADRA is made up of over 140 offices across the globe. A significant portion of ADRA’s programming involves the Water Sanitation and Hygiene sector, which falls under ADRA’s Health programming. The increase of WASH programming in both existing and new programs requires additional staff for the technical support of implementation, documentation, and communication with partners and donors at the regional level.
ADRA is seeking to recruit a motivated individual with the requisite training to perform a technical advisory role in supporting WASH programing in the middle east regional with a focus on Yemen, Sudan and Syria with possible expansion to other countries. This role requires strong spoken and written English to handle communication with the field and with donors, as well as the ability to edit and create technical documents. This position also requires native fluency in Arabic.
The Regional WASH Advisor for the Middle East will represent ADRA to donors and partners in Amman and around the region while providing technical support to existing projects and those under development.
- Graduate Degree in a WASH related discipline such as water engineering, water management or water treatment.
- Previous NGO experience in WASH programing in emergency and/ or development projects.
- Demonstrated ability to perform technical documentation and review.
- Ability to remotely monitor complex field activities and to make field visits in the region.
- Native fluency in Arabic and a proven capacity to communicate professionally with peers.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write, and speak English fluently.
- Ability to review and approve technical designs for WASH infrastructure.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and internet usage.
- Experience with US government funded projects.
- 5-7 years’ experience in comparable roles.
- Proficiency in GIS and CAD.
- Working with People – Demonstrates an interest in and understanding of others; adapts to the team and builds team spirit. Demonstrates cross-cultural communication skills.
- Writing and Reporting – Writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; writes convincingly in an engaging and expressive manner.
- Learning and Researching – Gathers comprehensive information to support decision making; rapidly learns new tasks and quickly commits information to memory.
- Following Instructions and Procedures – Follows procedures and policies; keeps to schedules; arrives punctually for work and meetings.
- Provide technical and managerial backstopping to WASH programming in the Middle East Region in support of ADRA International counterparts.
- Support existing WASH projects through review of reports and submissions.
- Technical supervision of WASH activities in the field in the region.
- Support the development and submission of new proposals for funding in WASH.
- Represent ADRA to USAID and other donors and partners in the region.
- Attend conferences and meetings in the region to raise the profile of ADRA.
- Training and capacity building of field teams in technical, management and compliance issues.
- Assist in writing and editing technical documents including concept notes, proposals, technical narratives for reports and written responses to questions from the field and from donors.
- Oversee the preparation of documents showing WASH best practices and innovations in the field.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position will require travel, including to areas such as Yemen, Syria and Sudan which are areas of potential security risk.
Must be able to work in a fast-paced and customer service-oriented environment; to perform duties under pressure and meet deadlines in a timely manner; to work as part of a team as well as to complete assignments independently; to take instructions from supervisors; to exercise problem-solving skills; and to interact with co-workers, supervisors, network employees, donors and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.