Location: Tunis with possible mission to Libya according to the security situation
Type of contract: 6 months with possibility of extension (including a 3 months as probation period)
Starting date: September 2018
Monthly Gross Salary Range: 3000-4000 EUR
GVC is an Italian NGO founded in 1971 active in international development and humanitarian aid projects.
We work to return dignity to entire communities; we fight poverty and injustice so that the fundamental rights of every person can be recognised. In almost fifty years of activity, we have reached the remotest corners of the world, setting up thousands of sustainable development cooperation projects.
In 2016, GVC managed 84 projects, operating in 24 countries. From Africa to Latin America, from Asia to the Middle East, through to Europe. We act involving people, civil society organisations, governments and local authorities, to ensure access to water, food, health, education and work for thousands of people. During a humanitarian emergency, GVC works to rebuild what has been destroyed and to rekindle growth and sustainable development processes. Our interventions aim to increase the population’s resilience, enhancing a community’s capacity to find, within its fabric, the skills and resources necessary to grow in a self-sufficient manner.
Our staff is the key to achieving ambitious goals. With nearly 770 professionals employed and 250 partners, over the past 12 months GVC has reached 1.4 million people. The organisation’s programmes (26 million in 2016) are co-funded by the most important humanitarian and development aid donors such as EU (DEVCO, EACEA, ECHO, NEAR), United Nations (OCHA, UNHCR, UNDP, UNICEF, WFP, FAO) and individual countries (AICS, JICA, France and Dutch Embassies) as well as by private donors and foundations.
Our programmes rely on highly specialised staff, able to implement tailored methods and practices in order to meet the different needs of beneficiaries and donor requirements. The challenges that characterise the environments we work in are tackled by creating innovative synergies that draw on teamwork, multi-disciplinary experiences and by pairing international and local expertise. Respect for individuals and constancy are essential and inalienable characteristics if operating in contexts requiring strong human and professional talents.
Being part of the GVC team means taking part in the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of our goals and vision.
GVC is establishing its presence in Libya with the aim to tailor its Community Protection Approach to the Libyan context, building community resilience, fostering inclusive human rights and promoting shared durable solutions. Partnerships are established with national NGOs and local municipalities to strengthen the local response, while providing technical assistance to improve the provision of basic services. One of the most neglected identified sector is WASH, considering both Libyan IDPs/returnees and host communities as well as migrants/refugees either urban or in detention centres.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
Within this framework, GVC recruits a WASH Program Manager, who will be responsible to coordinate and implement the operations related to GVC WASH programmes in Libya, by incorporating best practices approaches in the delivery of assigned functions. He/she will be based in the coordination office in Tunis, with possible missions in operational areas in Libya (Tripolitania). He/she will be under the direct line management of the Emergency Coordinator and working in coordination with the Protection/Admin/Logistics staff.
Operations Support (25%)
- Coordinate with and support the EC, in all aspects of finance, administrative, human resource and logistics management of humanitarian projects, ensuring knowledge and adherence to applicable operational systems, donor requirements and GVC country strategy;
- Ensure the remote management and support of the national partner implementing the activities, defining, together with the EC, SoPs and guidelines, as appropriate, to provide for a smooth running of the programmes through standardized procedures and improved support;
- Support the development of work plans and budgets and ensure effective coordination, timely and quality implementation and monitoring of project activities to meet deliverables in accordance with standards, time line, and budgets.
Programme Development (30%)
- Promote and guide needs assessments in identified areas of interest, working with national partners and humanitarian coordination structures, and develop concept notes/project ideas accordingly;
- Translate global and country GVC strategy into country specific advocacy strategies, creates and delivers effective evidence-based advocacy messages to promote GVC’s programmes goals taking into account political and social sensitivities;
- Promote a result-based approach and integrates innovative policies and strategies into the design and formulation of country programmes, and projects based on strategic priorities and responsive to the countries’ needs in the areas of interest;
- Promote knowledge sharing and continuous learning, testing, linking and documenting innovative strategies, approaches, lessons learned and best practices inside and outside GVC and replicating these strategies and approaches. Ensures that country staff integrates GVC substantive policies, methodologies and tools;
- Support in mobilizing co-financing resources for support to the country programmes and projects recommending a strategic approach and encouraging Country Office action;
- Conducts substantive policy dialogue with relevant national and international counterparts and other development partners to facilitate the incorporation of GVC’s programmes priorities into national and donors’ plans and strategies, and development framework;
- Formalize and upscale best practices and programmes’ achievements coming from the implementation of projects to relevant stakeholders, feeding , GVC policies and strategies/methods;
- Provide substantive technical support and coordination for the effective management of all GVC outputs including development and implementation of result based work plans, project financial monitoring and budget management;
- Ensure protection mainstreaming in the WASH sector in cooperation with the protection department/partners, as well as program integration with other components such as health
Representation and advocacy (20%)
- Represent GVC in the Country in various fora as requested by the EC on programmatic and technical issues;
- According to area of responsibility maintain and strengthen dialogue with WG and Coordination Mechanisms, NGOs, partners, donors and communities to provide knowledge and understanding while ensuring accurate interpretation of the programme/projects objectives and implementation;
- Identify additional areas of synergy and cooperation with other NGOs, UN agencies and relevant institutions;
- Provide input to communication materials to promote GVC strategic objectives.
Staff Management (10%)
- Line manages designated staff, including direct supervision and development;
- Assist the EC in establishing and maintaining collaborative and high performing team and a good working environment;
- Assist the EC with the development and building of an effective team.
Quality Management (10%)
- In conjunction with EC, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to ensure the best use of GVC assets and resources;
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the projects and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times;
- Support to oversee the timely and accurate preparation of annual reports as well as interim status reports (as required) to donors;
- Proactively contribute to effective and efficient use of resources across projects including during start-up and close-out of individual projects.
Security Management (5%)
- Support EC in security administration, which includes communicating security alerts to the team and maintenance of base security;
- Liaise with 24/7 for updated contact information and monitoring quality of service;
Undertake any other assignments as may be required by the EC.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience in related fields;
- Relevant experience in Project Development and proposal writing;
- Good knowledge of Project Cycle Management;
- Knowledge of main donors’ policy and procedures (in particular UNHCR and AICS);
- Previous work experience with international NGOs will be preferred.
Education and skills:
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Civil Engineering or related;
- Technical training in WASH and/or humanitarian studies will be positively considered;
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results;
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers / leaders;
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage effectively multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues;
- Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth;
- Fluency in written and spoken English, knowledge of Italian and/or Arabic and/or French will constitute a plus;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Demonstrates integrity concerning NGO values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Computer skills, in particular MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Project;
- Valid and clean driving license;
- Previous experience in the Libyan Context will be considered an asset
How to apply:
Send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with reference Li2, only preselected candidates will be contacted; the applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position may be awarded before the deadline.