Description and Scope of Assignment
The United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) seeks to establish a context for enlightened and effective management of its resources, and to help build advanced and sustainable environmental solutions. The Consultant will work closely with/report to the UNISFA Environmental Affairs Officer to provide the following:
Duties and Responsibilities
· To advise on the promotion of best practices in relation to environmental management, ensuring compliance with UN legislations and the UN’s Environmental Policy;
· To prepare and support the implementation of an Environmental Management System;
· To advise on the most advanced, cost effective, and low maintenance smart/remote monitoring solutions for power and water consumption;
· To provide a full package of recommendations and scope of requirements for the implementation of related projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assess the existing power and water supply installations; liquid and solid waste types and volume;
· Analyze and recommend the most advanced power and water consumption management systems;
· Assess the existing communications infrastructure to ensure the compatibility of the recommended devices;
· If required, recommend adjustments/modifications to the existing power grid and water supply system that are required prior to the implementation of the provided solutions
· Analyze and recommend solid waste disposal solutions, including hazardous waste and e-waste assessment works in evaluation of alternative technologies to replace hazardous wastes and to minimize pollution as well as in evaluating recycling options and developing a waste disposal schedule or auction process;
· Contribute to the development and co-ordination of cross-mission Environmental
Sustainability Awareness Campaigns such as water and energy consumption reduction, solid/liquid waste reduction/recycling schemes and sustainable procurement.
· With the existing setups, assist with the monitoring of consumption of water and waste production and setting targets for consumption in conjunction with the Water and Sanitation and Facilities Management team.
· Take environmental audits reports into considerations during the implementation of the above tasks.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental engineering, environmental studies, or equivalent; a first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
At least seven years of relevant experience including at least 3 years of experience at the international level in the United Nations, NGOs, donor funded projects and other relevant institutions.
Fluency in oral and written English is required.
Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with people of different backgrounds; strong interpersonal and communication skills, commitment to team work and to work across disciplines; consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude; demonstrates good oral and written communication skills in substantive and technical areas; demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities; technical awareness of the latest technologies related to the field of expertise.
Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills and capability of working independently and ability to work effectively, take initiative and deliver results, even under pressure; willingness to visit sites in remote areas.
Proficiency in the use of computers and office software packages (word processing, spreadsheet etc.).
Payments will made monthly, on the basis of actual days worked and certification of satisfactory progress in the completion of the agreed deliverables. The rate of remuneration shall be determined using the approved United Nations payment schedules and guidelines on payment of consultants, and shall be determined on the basis of the functions to be performed and the professional experience of the selected individual. No advance payment is permissible unless in exceptional circumstances.
All travel related to the contract will be arranged by UNISFA, at the most economical fare. Payment of a per diem at the set UN daily subsistence allowance (DSA) rates for the indicated duty station(s) will be applicable for subsistence and accommodation requirements.
The selected candidate will be fully governed by and subject to the United Nations General Terms and Conditions for Consultants and Individual Contractors.
How to Apply
Applications should include:
· Cover letter (maximum 1 page);
- Curriculum Vitae in the UN P11 format (http://www.unhcr.org/recruit/P11_UNHCR.doc), attached as a signed PDF;
- A summary CV, indicating the following:
o Educational Background
o Professional Experience
o Other experience and expertise
o Expectations regarding remuneration
All applications should be submitted via email to: [email protected]
Please quote “UNISFA Consultant Vacancy No.: UNISFA/C/2018/001” in the subject line.