Team Leader (Consulting Services for the Refugee Response Fund)
The Refugee Response Fund (RRF = the “programme”) is a German government commitment for Financial Cooperation to support the intensive efforts of the Ugandan government to address the needs of the refugees and host communities in Uganda. The Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) is responsible for the implementation of the programme that it implements through project implementation partners.
OPM will contract a consultancy firm to support the implementation of the programme.
Two “fast-track projects” have been selected under the Refugee Resonse Fund and are being implemented since November 2017 by the ‚implementing partners‘:
- Project to improve drinking water and sanitation infrastructure in Rhino camp implemented by Oxfam, including: Drilling and motorizing of high yielding boreholes; development and construction of a faecal sludge treatment solution; development of a model for Operation and Maintenance of faecal sludge treatment; construction and extension of water supply systems; Construction of latrines for schools and health facilities; Support to WASH committees.
- Project to construct primary schools/ infrastructure in Bidibidi Settlement implemented by Save the Children, including: construction of classroom facilities; Construction of teacher housing facilities; Furnishing and equipping classrooms; Provision of Accelerated Learning Programmes; Building community capacity to maintain schools
On behalf of OPM and according to the Terms of References, the Consultant under this assignment will prepare and carry out all necessary activities for the functioning of the Refugee Response Fund.
The objectives of this assignment include the following:
- To support Office of the Prime Minister in the ongoing day to day technical implementation of the Refugee Response Fund.
- To support the preparation of the second phase of the programme (processes, funding windows and governance structures).
The Consultant under this assignment will:
- Support the OPM in administration and coordination of the Refugee Response Fund
- Support the OPM and implementing partners (Oxfam, Save the Children) at project-level
- Help ensure compliance with environmental and social safeguards
- Prepare the RRF for future projects
The Team Leader will lead and coordinate the team and be the main contact for Implementing Partners and other stakeholders.
- Management of experts
- Coordination with client and partners
- Coordination with GFA project manager
- Financial project management
- General responsibility for delivery of objectives as listed above
- Minimum Master’s degree (or equivalent) in a related field of study (international development, humanitarian work, public management, international management etc.)
- Proven work experience (at least 5 to 10 years) in leading international and multidisciplinary teams in the management of complex multi-component programmes/funds, preferably in Africa
- Proven work experience in cooperating with international organisations/NGOs, ideally work experience in an international NGO
- Proven work experience in managing programmes with financing from international development banks
- Proven experience working in close cooperation with national counterparts, enabling and strengthening the abilities of the partners
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills in English
- Strong experience in fund management
- Experience in monitoring of implementing consultants
- Experience in KfW procurement guidelines
- Experience in KfW reporting procedures
- Experience in KfW tendering procedures
- Experience in Ugandan tendering procedures is an asset
- Experience in contract management
- Experience with financial management of funds
- Experience with feasibility studies, BOQs, and selection procedures
- Proven work experience in refugee assistance and support of refugee hosting communities, migration management or other transitional development assistance work
- Experience solar-powered water supply systems is an asset
- Experience faecal sludge management systems
- Experience in decentralized sludge treatment systems
- Experience in design of household and public sanitation systems
- Experience in design of educational infrastructure is an asset
- Skilled in development, operation and maintenance of small-scale water supply schemes
- Experience in do-no-harm approaches and intercultural communication
- Experience with donor-coordination and UN cluster systems
- Experience in setting up of M&E systems
Due to the high number of applications, please understand that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.