Cesvi has been present in Tajikistan since 2001 when it started working mainly on water and environmental hygiene issues. After 5 years of post-emergency activities, Cesvi has started to move through development actions in order to ensure long-term sustainability for rural populations.
In Tajikistan Cesvi has a main office in Dushanbe while implementing several projects country-wide.
The 4 main sectors are: 1) Environmental protection and Natural Resources Management (NRM) 2) Rural development 3) Support to business development (handicraft, fair-trade) 4) Protection of women and girls against the violence.
Under the NRM and rural development sectors Cesvi, in partnership with other international and local NGOs, is implementing an EU-funded, 4.5-year project in the Zarafshon valley “Enhancing Water and Natural Resources Management and Protection in upper catchments of Zarafshon Watershed”
The Project Manager – Environmental Expert has the responsibility to manage and report on all activities of Cesvi’s component related to this project, in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget.
The main duty station will be Ayni, in the Zarafshon Valley. Possible overnights in Panjakent, weekly visits to Dushanbe and – if requested – missions within the region.
Main tasks and duties:
– Be responsible for the overall management and implementation of the project, including budget compliance
– Supervise activities related to project management, including administration, accounting and procurement in accordance with Cesvi rules and regulations
– Supervise implementation of project activities, guaranteeing a constant coordination with partners (local and international)
– Represent Cesvi with project’s partners (international and national), other implementing organizations working in the target areas and the relevant local authorities
– Staff management and local partners’ management
– Guarantee clear documentation of project activities, through reports and other visibility tools, as required and by Cesvi HQ and the donor.
– Donor Reporting
– Produce planning documents, including related financial provisions under the supervision of the Desk Officer at HQ level
– Work in close collaboration with the Administration Dept. in forecast and control of financial flows.
– Identification/involvement of extra stakeholders to establish new partnership for the implementation of the project
– Coordinate and actively participate in project proposal definition, review and preparation
– Guarantee that all the activities are in line with Donor and Cesvi procedures and rules (Security Manual, Overseas Offices Administration Manual, Logistics Manual, Visibility and Communication Manual).
– Promote best practices
University degree in one of the following: Forestry, Natural Sciences, Environment Protection, Rural development and/or Environmental Engineering
2 to 4 years of proven management experience in leading development projects in rural development with a specific focus on environment / WASH
Solid knowledge of NGO procedures, approaches and operations
Experience in conducting needs assessments and project-proposal writing
Budgeting and accounting skills
Knowledge of European Union rules for the management and reporting of development projects
Demonstrated experience in networking and build effective partnerships with local stakeholders
Proven experience in personnel management and in capacity building of National/International staff
Strong communication and diplomatic skills
Strategic thinking and innovation.
Strong leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills
Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
Highly flexible and a team-player
Fluency in English (written and spoken)
Strong computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel
Strong experience and interest in Environment, Rural Development, Climate Change Adaptation, WASH issues
Knowledge of soil protection and natural resources conservation
Knowledge of forestry, agroforestry and pasture management
Knowledge of other international donors (i.e. DFID, UNICEF, UNDP)
Knowledge of Central Asia region
Knowledge of Russian
Knowledge of Tajik language and/or dialects of Central Asia
Unfortunately, due to the high number of applications we receive we are unable to provide feedback if unsuccessful at applicant stage. Only short-listed candidates will be updated on the status of their application.