Splash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA and founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “We clean water for kids.” Small, young and growing, Splash is in a unique position to be groundbreaking in the global health and “WASH” sectors, able to try new approaches to address the needs of urban kids. In nine years, we have brought and continue to ensure safe drinking water to over 360,000 children in cities around the world.
The WASH Infrastructure Program Manager is responsible for design, selection, technical oversight, implementation, evaluation and quality control of our water and sanitation work. WASH Infrastructure at Splash includes water filtration systems, drinking and handwashing stations, sanitation improvements, and all other design and engineering components of Splash programs such as water supply improvement, water storage and recycling, drainage, fecal sludge management, and child friendly, user-centered design and placement of toilets and urinals.<br><br>
The WASH Infrastructure Program Manager must have extensive knowledge of sustainable practices and goals in the larger Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector. S/he will provide guidance and direction to international program staff regarding Splash’s water and sanitation strategy and implementation plans. This position will collaborate closely with the Hygiene Manager, who focuses on behavior change across the spectrum of our WASH programs. Position requires strong leadership skills and ability to work independently and cross-culturally. The WASH Infrastructure Program Manager has the opportunity to break new ground in the nonprofit water sector by working to create and implement innovative, market-driven, imaginative solutions to the challenging field of urban water, sanitation and hygiene for children.
- Ensure organizational results in key outcome area: “Improved WASH Infrastructure”
- Collaborate with other Splash Program Managers (Hygiene, Monitoring & Evaluation, etc.) to develop the program design and to ensure a continuous learning and improvement process
- Identify appropriate sanitation products, build and manage partnerships with suppliers and implementation partners
- Manage relationships with key vendors (i.e. water filtration) and assist in management of procurement processes
- Continually evaluate the effectiveness of the hardware being installed and make improvements where necessary
- Participate in hiring, training, and building capacity of WASH infrastructure staff
- Provide technical and engineering assistance to international staff
- Support Country Directors in oversight and management of water and sanitation programs
- Conduct regular research and stay current on WASH sector
- Coordinate with Development team to create WASH infrastructure proposals, budgets, and reports
- Regular collaboration and idea generation within the Programs department
- Ensure that water and sanitation program information is accurate and up to date in Splash’s database
- Represent Splash at relevant conferences and events
- Approximately 20% international travel
Compensation & Benefits
Annual salary for this position will be established at time of hire, then reviewed at least annually. Splash provides generous health coverage benefits, including medical, dental, and vision, as well as a 401k plan.
Education, Experience, & Personal Characteristics
Qualified candidates must have a BA or BS in Public Health, Education, Community/International Development, Environmental or Civil Engineering (Masters preferred) and at least 5 years experience working in international development on WASH-related programs including specific experience designing and implementing water and sanitation programs; urban experience strongly preferred. In addition, this position requires an individual who is highly proficient in the WASH sector and conversant on current sector thinking especially as relevant to water treatment and sanitation. Other qualifications include a demonstrated ability to effectively manage international staff and programs, including local implementation partners and vendors; experienced in interviewing, hiring and training new staff. The Sanitation Program Manager must also have excellent quantitative aptitude and strong desire to learn new skills. International experience and cultural sensitivity are a must.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
Splash is an equal opportunity employer.
Desired Attributes Include
- You exhibit absolute integrity, honesty, openness and sound judgment
- You are comfortable around kids. You are fun, outgoing, enthusiastic, and not afraid to be silly! You love to jump into the mix, play their games and have fun
- You are part of a team – you enjoy collaboration and have a genuine interest in learning from and developing others (and are always willing to take a break for a ping pong battle!)
- You are innovative and creative: you constantly seek better ways to accomplish objectives
- You are a excellent communicator, with the ability to listen, communicate effectively, and build trust with a wide variety of internal and externals constituents
- You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment
- You think critically and put a high value on offering and receiving constructive feedback and criticism
- You have a deep belief in and passion for Splash’s work and the children we serve