The Freshwater Trust, a Pacific Northwest-headquartered non-profit leader in quantified conservation, is seeking an experienced professional to administer conservation programs in California. This full-time position will work as part of The Freshwater Trust’s California team, and will work closely with technical support staff in Portland, OR. The Freshwater Trust’s northern California projects focus on the application of the principles of quantified conservation through contracting with municipal, governmental, and nonprofit entities for regulatory compliance and watershed conservation. These programs are a key part of achieving The Freshwater Trust’s mission to increase the pace and scale of watershed conservation, and to ensure a future where clean, abundant freshwater resources support our environment, economy and society.
The Conservation Programs Administrator will be primarily responsible for the administration of an existing groundwater and habitat conservation project with a wastewater utility in northern California. This position will involve internal team coordination and oversight of deliverables, timelines, and budget. The Program Administrator will also support additional projects, business development and outreach efforts, and other duties as assigned. This position reports to a Senior Conservation Project Manager in Sacramento.
• Contract administration, including but not limited to: team coordination; scope of work tracking, staff delegation of tasks; budget tracking; timeline management; deliverable management; partner communications; meeting documentation, and coordination of internal and partner meetings.
• Collaborate with The Freshwater Trust’s technical teams to meet project scope requirements.
• Manage simple databases to store and track data from outreach program participants.
• Developing a sophisticated understanding of the complex technical, social, and political contexts for watershed-scale programming.
• Local travel required for this position; at times travel may be expected on short notice. Travel and other work-related assignments may include weekends. Trips to Portland, OR may occur 3-4 times per year.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
Qualities and skills:
• Highly organized multi-tasker with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Enjoys working with technical teams and finds joy in an organized spreadsheet.
• Strong time-management skills with ability to be flexible and responsive to changing task priorities.
• Well versed in a variety of technological tools to manage databases, track projects and communications, schedule and coordinate video conference meetings, edit and revise communications materials, update web content, etc.
• Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new tools.
• Highly responsible, trustworthy, dependable with a strong sense of ethics; and passionate about the mission and vision of The Freshwater Trust.
Qualifications (don’t count yourself out if you aren’t able to meet some of these qualifications!):
• Bachelor’s degree in natural sciences, natural resource management or policy, water resources or related field, master’s degree a plus
• 5+ years’ experience with large projects, including project set-up and task and budget oversight
• Familiarity with northern California watersheds
• Strong general knowledge of water quantity, quality, agricultural BMPs and conservation actions
• Demonstrates professionalism in communications with team members, clients, and in written documentation
• Capacity to proactively juggle multiple tasks and competing priorities within a high-energy environment
• Strong passion for The Freshwater Trust’s mission to ‘protect and restore freshwater ecosystems’
Other Position Requirements:
• Candidates should possess professionalism, confidence, intellectual curiosity and energy
• Candidates must have legal authority to work permanently in the United States
• Must possess a valid driver’s license
• Competitive salary based on experience
• Generous benefits package, including health and dental coverage, paid time off (PTO), paid holidays, and guaranteed retirement contributions
• Supply a Cover Letter, Resume and a list of 3 References into a single PDF not to exceed 5MB
• Submit required information and documentation at: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/66a8fe11656e423588e6d98be4ab63cf
Interested candidates from historically underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply. The Freshwater Trust is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection of candidates for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex or sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, military service, family medical history, legal source of income, gender identity, political affiliation, or family leave obligations. ADA accommodations will be provided upon request.