Description of task
Under the direct supervision and mentoring of the head of UNEP Addis Ababa Office, the UNV will undertake the following tasks:
- Participate in trends and emerging issues on environment in Ethiopia and assist in identifying existing and planned initiatives and programmes of other institutions that are relevant to UNEP programme of work, so as to enhance the capacity of the office to mobilize resources for environmental outreach programmes;
- Support in developing possible environmental projects, in partnership with relevant agencies and institutions, and initiate country level activities through adequate resource mobilization;
- Assist in the planning and staging of special environmental events in Ethiopia (e.g. World Environment Day, International Biological Diversity Day, International Desertification Day, International Ozone Day etc.) in partnership with UNCT members, Ethiopian environmental institutions and the public;
- Participate in any other assignments that the office may require, such as covering relevant national/international environmental events and drafting reports for transmission to headquarters and/or for use in newsletter(s).
Required degree level
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Educational additional comments
Environmental Studies, Environmental Economics, Rural Development, Natural Resources Management (water, soil/land etc.) Economics, with focus on resources economics.
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience (up to 2 years) in dealing with the linkage between environment and development issues, environmental and resource management. Demonstrate understanding of policy development at national or international level.
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highlye regarded;
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise
Other development programme/project experience
Area of expertise details
Learning and development are a central part of the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment and take place before, during and after his or her assignment in the field. Ideally, offering diverse opportunities for learning and development aim to strengthen the volunteer’s skills and competences, improve the quality of the assignment and keep the volunteer’s motivation high.
Learning elements for the UN Youth Volunteer include the development of:
- Professional skills: including specific competencies and reflection on assignment-related abilities; and on-the-job skills such as time management, problem solving, team building; and career preparedness such as interview skills, CV preparation, job searching.
- Inter-personal skills: including communication and listening skills; multi-cultural awareness and cultural competency; and conflict and stress management.
- Volunteering-related skills: including leadership; civic responsibility; and engagement and active participation.
Beyond the learning opportunities provided by UNV, the host agency will support knowledge and capacity development in the technical areas that are relevant to the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment. The host agency will provide, at its expense, UN Youth Volunteers with equal opportunity to participate in training courses and workshops offered to its personnel.
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Leadership, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Vision, Working in Teams
This assignment is funded by the Government of Sweden, therefore only Swedish nationals are eligible to apply. Moreover, candidates must be between 18 and 29 years of age throughout the assignment. Please apply via the link below. You can then either log in if you already have an account or register via ‘Candidate Signup’. You may apply to a maximum of three assignments per advertisement and indicate your order of preference in the ‘Additional Remarks’ section of your profile. Application deadline: 6 July 2021. Selection process: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection will be done by the UN Host Entity at the level of the country of assignment. Interviews will be conducted by the UN Host Entity between 22 July and 13 August. Usually these interviews are competency-based. Assignment Preparation Training: Prior to deployment, the selected candidate will be required to attend a mandatory preparation training from 4 to 8 October organized by Sida. COVID-19: In case of travel restrictions, assignments may start remotely or start dates may be postponed.