Action Contre la Faim (Action Against Hunger) has been conducting humanitarian programs in Somalia since May 1992. Currently, AAH is conducting its humanitarian activities in Somalia focused on treating and preventing malnutrition, increasing access to clean water and appropriate sanitation, strengthening the food-security, livelihoods and thus boosting the resilience of communities in Somalia as well as emergency response via program bases in Somalia.
The Positions and responsibilities:
AAH Somalia is looking for suitable candidates to fill the position of WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) Technician. The position will be based in Yeed in Bakool region. The incumbent reports to the WASH Field Officer.
The WASH Technician will support and supervise the implementation of the water, sanitation and hygiene projects at the Yeed base.
Mission 1: Prepare the worksites:
- Check the quality of the required equipment and materials;
- Check the materials requests, receive them and check the quality of materials received;
- Ensure the proper use of the tools required for each worksite;
- Supervise the loan of tools to beneficiaries.
Mission 2: Supervise the worksites:
- Supervise the daily supply of equipment and materials to the worksites;
- Control the usage of equipment and materials;
- Control the digging of trenches, building of foundations, slabs and superstructures of all WASH facilities;
- Ensure the quality of materials used and the quality of work done;
- Ensure the proper advancement of the work;
- Control the maintenance of the tools by the workers;
- Write daily/weekly activity report.
Mission 3: Manage the project team (or support contractor’s team):
- Organize the team’s work: optimize the distribution of tasks according to the members’ potential;
- Ensure the team’s technical support.
Mission 4: Relay Action Against Hunger activities and objectives to the communities and partners:
- Develop contacts and explain to stakeholders and to populations the activities and the objectives of the programs;
- Represent the organization in dealing with the beneficiaries, with the agreement of the direct line manager;
- Inform local authorities about all aspects of the programs;
- Involve and inform the communities about the implementation of the program;
- Work in collaboration with the stakeholders.
Qualifications, experience and competencies
- Diploma or certificate in plumbing, construction, masonry, etc. OR High School Leaving Certificate with 2 years professional experience in construction works.
- Skills in building sanitary and water infrastructure (water network, well, borehole, latrine, drainage)
- Experience in drafting of simple BoQs, Scope of works, Sketches
- Skills in plumbing
- Skills in maintenance of construction tools and equipment
- Organizational ability
- Fluent in Somali and English (oral and writing)
Applications, should include a CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
[email protected] not later than 9th July 2018 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. WASH Techinican-Yeed. Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
This position is open to Somalia nationals