Action Contre la Faim (Action Against Hunger) has been conducting humanitarian programs in Somalia since May 1992. Currently, AAH is conducting its humanitarian activities in Somalia focused on treating and preventing malnutrition, increasing access to clean water and appropriate sanitation, strengthening the food-security, livelihoods and thus boosting the resilience of communities in Somalia as well as emergency response via program bases in Somalia.
The Positions and responsibilities:
AAH Somalia is looking for suitable candidates to fill the position of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Flying Manager. The position will be based in Mogadishu with travel to the other bases within Somalia. The incumbent reports to technically to the WASH HOD and hierarchal to the field Coordinator in Mogadishu.
The WASH Flying Technical Manager will support and supervise the implementation of the water, sanitation and hygiene projects at the various bases within Somalia.
Mission 1: Implementation and Technical oversight
- Ongoing, systematic and thorough analysis of the status of facilities (OTPs, MCH, SC, WASH infrastructure, agricultural systems, AAH field Bases, etc) and internal dissemination of information gathered and its analysis to the Field Coordinator and the WASH Head of Department.
- Development of draft design, BoQs and SoWs for the rehab/construction works. Dissemination of designs, BoQs and SoWs to respective departments to ensure clear understanding of the documents at site level.
- Onsite or remote supervision of rehabilitation/construction of the facilities in line with the specifications of the design and BoQs
- Ensure quality construction of all assets, ensuring good maintenance and sustainable processes are put in place.
- Closely monitor progress of works in line with the approved bidders work plans and methodology statements.
- Carry out actual onsite measurement of works to be used for determination of phased payment.
- Contribute to any redesign of works and review of BoQs where necessary.
- Identify gaps in the infrastructure in the project sites and recommend appropriate corrective action.
- Collaboration, planning and coordination with respective project staff, local authorities and beneficiary communities towards meeting the identified needs for host community, returnees and IDPs based on the design of the project/program.
- Ensure optimal utilization of resources, cost effectiveness and accountability on site by the vendor.
Mission 2: Set up, implement and report on construction/rehab projects
- Compilation and submission of comprehensive and accurate construction/rehab reports within set deadlines for each activity.
- Identify the technical constraints associated with the implementation of the projects
- Propose innovative technical solutions in response to such constraints
- Implement technical recommendations concerning the project (from Head of Department, Technical Advisor at Headquarters, Experts, Evaluators)
- Supervise his/her programs, by means of internal Activity Progress Report (APR) monitoring tools, regular presence in the field, maintenance of a timeline, monthly review of the budget
- Preparing in time to meet deadlines of the beneficiary sector in regard to external and internal reports relating to the project.
- Identifying and implementing safety measures for both the teams and the wider population (building sites, community based sites)
Mission 3: Contribute to the quality, accountability and impact measurement process of his/her program
- Promote and contribute to learning and improvement of quality (internal evaluation and joint visits)
- Implement complaints procedures for ethical and transparency reasons, particularly in respect of the beneficiary populations
Mission 4: Participate in the coordination, representation and partnerships of AAH in his/her area of intervention
- Coordination of activities with other sectors and departments of AAH in order to ensure rational use of resources and optimum integration
- Representing AAH and ensuring coordination with partners, the authorities, agencies of the United Nations and NGOs in his/her sector, in collaboration with the Field Coordinator
- Contributing to the process of selecting partners, formalizing partnerships and enhancing their capabilities (Local NGOs, international NGOs, national authorities, private agencies etc) and reinforcing their capabilities
Mission 5: Supervision and team management
- Liaise with the vendor and ensure proper construction team management while at AAH sites.
- In collaboration with the beneficiary sector, ensure community concerns during construction/rehab activities are actioned and feedback provided to the communities through the beneficiary sector.
Mission 6: Contributing to capitalization and technical development in his/her sector
- Capitalization of program-related data and documentation of the innovations achieved
- Dissemination of the technical and operational expertise acquired in the course of the program
- Contributing to the upward transmission of data from the ground the better to inform AAH communications
Qualifications, experience and competencies
- Degree/Diploma in Civil or Structural Engineering, or other relevant technical area.
- 1 year of professional experience in the humanitarian sector or the private sector for degree holders, 3 years for diploma holders. This should include preparation of construction technical documentation.
- Experience working on large infrastructure and/or civil works in complex environments. Must include construction, technical project documentation development and supervision of actual construction.
- Capacity to write technical reports
- Possess analytical capacity
- Ability to identify problems and to provide appropriate solutions
- Professional, responsible, Motivated, Open-minded, Culturally sensitive, Flexible and Creative
- Remote management experience
- Team management (make a team work together, make a team understand their objective)
- Capacity building, training
- Ability to manage a team in a mature and impartial manner
- Good knowledge of technical drawing and design tools and software (AutoCAD or equivalent)
- Fluent in Somali and English (oral and writing)
Applications, should include a CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
[email protected] not later than 9th July 2018 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. WASH Flying Technical Manager-Mogadishu. Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
This position is open to Somalia nationals