U.S. citizens: Hydrologic Technician

Bloomington, MN, US

As a Hydrologic Technician, you will be stationed out of the Region 3 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Regional Office, Division of Natural Resources and Conservation Planning, in Bloomington, Minnesota. The incumbent will be focused on completing water resource inventory and assessment activities for all Refuge field stations in Region 3.

This is a term position not to exceed 13 months. At management’s discretion, the appointment may be extended up to the 4-year limit.
The major duties include, but are not limited to, the following:

Identify potential sites for stream gaging stations, and select appropriate sites for planning and implementation of stations
Inventory and assess water management infrastructure
Assess water data relative to habitat management objectives
Measure, inventory, and assess water quantity and quality data as well as climate data
Plot and analyze hydrographs
Use tag lines, wading rods, current meters, acoustic Doppler equipment, or other hydrologic instruments
Map and inventory topographic and bathymetric data
Compute discharge records for measuring sites
Tabulate survey data collected by total station, RTK, GPS, or other surveying equipment
Manipulate data to assist in hydrologic analysis using WISKI, ArcGIS, and Biber
Make oral presentations and write reports for groups of varying levels of understanding
Travel Required
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.

Supervisory status

Promotion Potential
Conditions of Employment
Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
Resume and supporting documents (See How To Apply)
Suitability for employment, as determined by background investigation
A valid driver’s license is required
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date will be considered.

To qualify at the GS-1316-5 level, you must possess one of the following below:

A. I have at least one year of specialized experience performing the work of a Hydrologic Technician. This experience is equivalent to the GS-4 level in the Federal service and is directly related to this Hydrologic Technician position being filled. Examples of specialized experience include technician or aid work in engineering, earth, physical, or natural science, forestry, soil conservation, or surveying; trade or crafts work in maintenance or construction of facilities or equipment related to hydrology; drafting; and construction estimating.
B. I have successfully completed a full 4 years of progressively higher level education leading to a bachelor’s degree with a major study in an appropriate field of science, engineering, construction, or industrial technology, OR that included at least 24 semester hours in any combination of courses in engineering, industrial technology, construction drafting, surveying, physical science, biology, or mathematics. I have submitted a copy of my college transcripts to verifiy this answer.
C. I have a combination of experience as described under letter A above and education as described under letter B above which, when combined, is equivalent to 100% of the qualification requirement.
To calculate your percentage of education, first determine the total number of semester hours, and then divide the total number of your semester hours by 18 (or your school’s definition of one year of study). To calculate your percentage of qualifying experience, divide your total number of months of qualifying experience by 12. Now, add the two percentages together. The sum of the percentages must equal at least 100%. I have submitted a copy of my college transcripts to verify this answer.

Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants who are using education or a combination of education and experience to qualify must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s), grade point average or class ranking, institution name, and student name. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution’s registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts.

PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.

FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html