NUMBER OF OPENINGS: 2
LOCATION: One posting in Masindi; one posting in Kiryandongo
POSITION START: As soon as possible, but no later than August 29, 2016
The Water Trust develops and implements Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) projects to combat disease and poverty in the developing world and allow people to live empowered lives of dignity. The Water Trust collaborates with the local government, village leaders and community members to enable village, schools, and health centers to create access to safe water, latrines, and hygiene education. Since 2008, The Water Trust has implemented more than 300 projects in Western Uganda, benefiting more than 120,000 people. Headquartered in New York, The Water Trust aims to be a leader in pioneering innovative new approaches to help foster healthy communities.
The Water Trust seeks School WASH Officers to plan, manage, implement and monitor WASH activities in rural schools to promote and improve water, hygiene and sanitation good practices in schools. The person will also develop and build capacity of school management committees and community members to effectively operate and maintain school WASH infrastructure.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the implementation of School WASH positive behavior change strategy.
- Train school administrators and teachers in the Child Hygiene and Sanitation Training (CHAST) approach and oversee its implementation.
- Support School Health Committee (SHC) in planning and implementation health and hygiene promotion activities.
- Strengthen School Management Committees to successfully operate and maintain school WASH infrastructure.
- Establish productive working relationships with school administrators and government officials to promote good WASH practices in schools.
- Contribute to needs assessments of prospective schools to inform program design.
- Monitor and ensure functionality of School WASH facilities, including improved water sources, latrines and hand washing facilities.
- Evaluate success of school intervention in accordance with organizational policy and maintain related data and records.
- Develop and submit progress reports on activities to meet organization reporting needs.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Minimum of a diploma in environmental health science, public health or any discipline related to Water, Hygiene and Sanitation and two years of field experience OR the equivalent of five years of relevant field experience.
- Experience implementing WASH projects on behalf of an international development organization.
- Strong knowledge and skills in school WASH promotion tools or other behavior change approaches such as Child Hygiene and Sanitation Training (CHAST).
- Experience in hygiene promotion and behavior change communications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proactive and results-oriented.
- Comfortable and capable adapting work and priorities to respond to changing situations in order to advance organizational goals and objectives.
- Strong computer skills, notably in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Able to both work independently with minimum supervision and as part of a larger team.
- Good spoken and written English.
- Possesses a valid riding permit and knowledge of road rules.
- Good facilitation skills.
- Knowledge of the Masindi and Kiryandongo and local languages.
- Experience in conducting Training of Trainers (ToT) sessions at the school level.
Click the link below and complete the application by August 6, 2016, at 5 p.m. East African Time. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No paper copy applications will be considered.
Due to the number of applications received, we are not able to respond to each application.