IFI is a partner in the INTERREG VA Catchment CARE project led by Donegal Co. Co. The project is a cross-border one examining ecological quality of water (sensu Water Framework Directive-WTD) focusing on three catchments. The appointment will examine the Arney and Ulster Blackwater catchments with a view to scoping and actioning management interventions in the instream and riparian zones of channels that would lead to improvement in ecological quality. The appointee will undertake appropriate surveys to collect baseline information on habitats to assess the type and appropriateness of measures that might be undertaken to improve the instream and riaparian hydromorphology and river continuity. The appointee will work with Research Officer in the Arney and Blackwater.
- Day to day delivery of the Project under the supervision of the Senior Research Officer or other line manager as deemed necessary
- Liaise closely with the Research Officer and supervise staff allocated to the project
- Contribute to development of all core elements of the programme (admin, desk, field)
- Comprehensive programme of field surveys In context of EU Water Framework Directive to identify and prioritise instream and riparian issues and river continuity issues leading to reduced ecological quality
- Collect data to permit assessment of Ecological Quality Ratios (EQRs) for fish and habitat at locations of reduced ecological quality
- Database storage of fisheries and habitat data for the purpose of interrogation and prioritising habitat management
- Support prioritisation of habitats and scenarios where works may facilitate improvement of Ecological Quality Ratios (EQRs) for fish and habitat
- Data Processing & Reporting Responsibilities
- Assist in reviewing existing data sets for development of organizational database
- Use of relevant statistical analysis to query data
- GIS-linkage of all data and use of GIS for mapping and interrogation
- Maintain raw data and all other records in a clear, concise manner
- Participate in compiling reports in conjunction with the Research Officer
- Liaise closely with the Research Officer responsible for the Project
- Develop and Maintain close liaison with the relevant staff in IFI and in OPW Drainage Division.
- Carry out such duties as may be assigned to the post from time to time by the Research Officer
The position will require flexibility regarding working hours.
Considerable travelling and residing in locations across Ireland, whilst conducting field work in all weather conditions.
Note: The above attempts to outline in a broad sense the range of duties associated with a Technician post. However other duties may arise as the requirements of the project and our stakeholders change over time.