Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org
Description & Responsibilities
The Manager, Investor Engagement, plays a key role in Ceres’ work with institutional investors. This position focuses on supporting and engaging members of the Investor Network on Climate Risk and Sustainability, coordinated by Ceres, which is a network of more than 150 institutional investors with $24 trillion in assets under management. In addition, the Manager’s investor engagement activities will support the organization’s strategies to work with the investment community on eliminating deforestation and associated GHG emissions from agricultural supply chains, and involve a dotted line relationship to the Director of Food and Capital Markets. This is a full-time staff position, based in Boston, MA, that will report to a Director on the Investor Network.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
Supporting the Investor Network
- Manage and deepen Ceres’ relationships with asset owners and asset managers, serving a dedicated portfolio of investors.
- Recruit strategic new asset owner and asset manager members to the Investor Network from both the U.S. and Canada and encourage their action on ESG issues.
- Support Ceres’ Investor Network relationship management system and system for tracking member engagement and activities focused on the above issues/risks.
- Promote “sustainable investment” policies and practices that incorporate environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into the investment decision-making process.
- Partner with the Director in working with the Communications team, and developing media messaging and communications materials, such as op-eds, press releases and blogs.
- Research, write, and edit communications with Investor Network members, including contributions to website, newsletter, reports and other publications.
- Partner with the Director in funder meetings and outreach to potential new funders, with the Ceres Development Team.
- Participate in planning and organizing Ceres annual conference and program events for both the Investor Network and the Food Program.
- Where appropriate, supervise interns on projects.
- Travel as necessary for relationship management purposes.
Engaging Investor Network Members
- Identify opportunities to advance Ceres’ goals to reduce deforestation impacts through Ceres’ Investor Network projects and activities.
- Advise and support Ceres’ Food program in direct outreach, calls & meetings and presentations with investors not yet active on deforestation risks.
- Manage annual project to survey investors on deforestation risk and climate change.
- Achieve visibility for Ceres deforestation-focused work by helping to organize panels and speaking at investor-facing events.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Five to seven years of work experience, preferably direct experience working in investment sector on sustainability-related issues. Knowledge of sustainable agriculture and forest conservation desirable.
- An understanding of institutional investors and financial markets.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Public speaking skills, desirable.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Successful record of organizing multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
- Interest and willingness to be trained on specific applications necessary for work: ReadyTalk, Salesforce, listserv program, Bloomberg Terminal, etc.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org
. If you are interested in applying, please submit a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.