MSI, in partnership with the Palladium Group, implements USAID’s E3 Analytics and Evaluation Project, which supports the design and implementation of rigorous evaluations for USAID’s Bureau for Economic Growth, Education, and Environment (E3). Under this Project, MSI is collaborating with a team from USAID’s Management Support and Technical Assistance Services (MSTAS) activity to conduct an ex-post evaluation that will examine the sustainability of the USAID/Ghana Water Access, Sanitation and Hygiene for Urban Poor (WASH-UP) program, which sought to increase equitable access to improved water supply and basic sanitation for poor urban communities in Ghana. The ex-post evaluation will focus on the sustainability of interventions implemented during the first phase of WASH-UP, implemented from 2009-2015 in communities in the Accra Municipal Assembly (AMA) and the Sekondi-Takoradi Municipal Assembly (STMA).
MSI is seeking a team leader to oversee design, implementation, and reporting activities for the WASH-UP ex-post evaluation in close collaboration with the MSI team as well as Pragma (which is the lead implementer of MSTAS). The team leader will have extensive experience leading evaluation teams in field-based qualitative data collection and analysis and designing and implementing mixed-methods evaluations for USAID or similar international donor agencies, ideally in Ghana. As USAID staff are also expected to participate in evaluation activities, the team leader should have experience leading internal evaluations for USAID or working with mixed external-internal teams. It is preferred that the team leader also have expertise in assessing the sustainability of development programs to improve water supply systems, sanitation facilities, and hygiene behavior change, as well as enhance the capacity of public and private actors in the water and sanitation sectors.
***Qualified local candidates are encouraged to apply***
- Lead the design and implementation of all evaluation activities based on the approved evaluation design proposal.
- Participate in the identification and selection of evaluation team members.
- Supervise evaluation team members, including participating USAID staff, in carrying out required design, data collection, and analysis tasks.
- Ensure that evaluation processes and products meet the requirements and quality standards of MSI and USAID.
- Oversee and conduct desk research and provide inputs to inform required evaluation design documents.
- Lead the drafting and finalization of the evaluation design proposal including: data collection instruments, data collection and analysis plans, work plans, sampling plans, and other relevant sections.
- Conduct an in-briefing for USAID/Ghana staff.
- Carry out and oversee research and analysis based on the approved evaluation design and methodology. This may include reviewing and analyzing secondary documents, conducting key informant interviews in person in Ghana and remotely, conducting structured observations of water schemes and sanitation facilities in Ghana, facilitating group discussions in Ghana, supervising data collection activities of other team members in multiple areas of Ghana where WASH-UP was implemented, analyzing WASH-UP implementation data, and other approaches to collect and analyze data, including ensuring necessary mechanisms for data quality assurance.
- Lead an internal findings/conclusions/recommendations workshop with the MSI team prior to drafting the evaluation report.
- Serve as lead author for drafting and finalizing the draft and final evaluation report; including responding to comments from Project team and USAID.
- Lead presentations to USAID regarding findings, conclusions, and recommendations from the evaluation.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field of study.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience, including at least five (5) years of experience conducting evaluations of donor-funded projects in Africa.
- Demonstrated expertise with qualitative research methods for data collection and analysis and extensive experience conducting key informant interviews and structured observations.
- Familiarity with conducting water quality tests is a plus.
- Extensive experience leading and managing evaluation teams, including directly overseeing data collection teams.
- Outstanding report writing skills including extensive experience as lead author of evaluation reports for USAID or similar donors.
- Sound knowledge of USAID program cycle and extensive familiarity with USAID evaluation policy and relevant Agency guidance.
- Experience utilizing and combining quantitative and qualitative data.
- Prior experience working in Ghana, preferred.
- Native or near-native fluency in English including speaking, writing, and reading.
- Outstanding analytical and report writing skills.