The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation’s most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Program Assistant to work primarily with legal staff of the Water & Wildlife team, with some additional support for the Clean Air team, in our San Francisco office. The Program Assistant will bring a high level of organization and initiative to supporting NRDC’s freshwater goals, and is ideally suited to someone with an interest in California water issues.
- Administrative support duties include processing invoices and expense reports; tracking budgets; proofreading, formatting, copying, and scanning documents; scheduling meetings and travel; and assisting other program assistants as needed.
- Litigation support duties include preparing, proofreading, and fact-checking documents for court filings; and assisting with filing and service of court documents.
- Additional opportunities include blogging; managing social media accounts; developing content for NRDC webpages; researching, drafting and editing reports; data gathering, analysis, and visualization; planning and assisting with office events and team meetings; participating in internal and external project meetings; and preparing grant requests and reports.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 1 year previous administrative experience (or equivalent) preferred.
- Must be able to accurately perform, or quickly learn to accurately perform, tasks such as: proofreading and cite-checking documents; processing and tracking expenses; maintaining electronic files and budgets; researching and writing memos; and planning retreats and meetings.
- Ability to prioritize and efficiently execute multiple tasks, follow institutional procedures, and perform undirected work with meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior editing, research and data synthesis skills.
- Commitment to accuracy and rigor.
- Ability to maintain composure and sense of humor under deadline pressure.
- Use of superior time management skills to balance competing priorities and manage needs of multiple staff simultaneously. Willingness and flexibility to work overtime on an occasional basis.
- Ability to professionally represent team members when working with staff across the organization; fielding inquiries from media, members, and the public; participating in coalition meetings; and coordinating with state and federal agencies.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work discretely with sensitive information.
- High proficiency with Microsoft office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.