The Ecology Consultancy is seeking to appoint an experienced Senior Ecologist, based in our London office, to be involved in all areas of our work but with an emphasis on dealing with protected species issues, in particular bats. We are one of the largest dedicated ecology company in the county and have forged close relationships with private and public sector organisations, working on small to large scale housing developments, road, rail and port infrastructure, historic building renovation and district wide habitat and green infrastructure appraisals.
We are passionate about what we do and our staff enjoy working in a friendly and supportive environment with an emphasis on continuing professional development and career progression. Our staff pride themselves on the quality of their work, our ability to influence scheme design for the benefit of biodiversity and enjoy working closely with our clients design teams.
We are seeking to employ an experienced Senior Ecologist on a permanent contract to work within the established team in our London Office and to help take us into our next period of growth.
What will the Senior Ecologist do?
Work will centre on the project management and successful delivery of surveys, impact assessments and mitigation for legally protected species. The Senior Ecologist will be required to carry out surveys and manage individual contracts so as to deliver high quality ecological consultancy services within budget and to deadline. This will involve: liaising with clients, consultants and consultees, acquiring data from third parties, organising and supervising staff and sub-contractors, as well as preparing maps, writing and reviewing high quality reports. They will also assist with the general running of the office in co-operation with other staff based there and to help with the marketing and promotion of the company
The project-based nature of our work means that there will be a requirement to travel and possibly work away from home as is necessary to successfully carry out contracts
You must be able to demonstrate excellent ecological skills and the ability to communicate clearly to colleagues, clients and other third parties.
- Appropriate degree(s)
- Full Member of the CIEEM
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience in ecological consultancy or other relevant work.
- Excellent fieldwork and report writing skills including, protected species surveys, EPSM applications, ES chapters and Ecological Management Plans,
- Critically review of own work and a minimum 2 years’ experience of reviewing other people’s work
- Must be competent in the survey of and mitigation for more than one of the following: bats badgers, birds, dormice, great crested newts, reptiles, water voles
- Hold EPS survey licences for more than one of the above species groups
- In-depth knowledge of the application of UK and relevant European environmental legislation
- Have proven project management experience. Can respond promptly and professionally to clients
- Evidence of effective relationships with a number of important clients, offering advice and guidance
- Be able to manage own workload, be proactive in managing projects and be able to delegate to and provide support to Ecologists as appropriate
- Up to date knowledge of, and familiarity with, survey guidance for a range of protected species
- Be proficient in customer service and able to deliver and lead training events and workshops, both internally to The Ecology Consultancy and externally to clients and other stakeholders
- Be personable and a team player
- Have a full UK driving licence.
What do we offer?
- Based in London
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
- 25 days Annual leave
- Generous training budget
- Staff support/mentoring
- Flextime and TOIL
- Pension scheme
Applications (your CV and a covering letter) email to Jane Kendall, [email protected].
The Ecology Consultancy aims to promote equality of opportunity, dignity and due respect for all employees and clients as is consistent with the company’s Equalities Policy.