UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Purpose: The Consultant is required to support the organization and facilitation of cascaded training on “Climate Resilient Water Safety Planning / CR-WSP)” in six (6) intervention towns of the DFID/UNICEF supported ONEWASH Plus programme as part and parcel of the capacity building component.
How can you make a difference?
The specific tasks of the individual Consultant are, but not limited to the following:
- Support organizing the training including identification of training teams for each utility,
- Develop training module through review of existing guidelines and integration of climate vulnerability assessment dimensions,
- Support in preparation of training materials including procedures for water quality test kits,
- Facilitate theoretical training to create general understanding and application on climate resilient water safety plans and its implementation including field visits/practical work to run-through system description, hazard identification from source/catchment to consumer, risk analysis, preparation of improvement and operational monitoring plans,
- Assist in inclusion of climate vulnerability assessment and related adaptive measures, and
- Support development of risk management document for each of the schemes
The Consultant will support UNICEF and local authorities in the implementation of the tasks outlined in this TOR. Coordination mainly with the Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Electricity, Regional Water and Health Bureaus as well as with local administrations including different actors and partners in the target Municipalities and Woreda Administrations are of utmost importance to ensure smooth implementation of the training plans.
The Consultant will ensure that all the UNICEF supported trainings on “Climate Resilient Water Safety Plan” in the ONEWASH plus intervention towns will follow and use the national framework, implementation guidelines and training manuals developed by the Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Electricity in 2015.
The Consultant will work as per instructions given by the WASH Section in Addis Ababa.
The consultant is expected to produce the following deliverable:
1. Consolidated CR- WSP training module and tool – two weeks after deployment
2. Scheme level training reports in each town – one week after conduct of each training
3. CR-WSP implementation document for each utility – within two weeks after each training
4. Summary report of the overall consultancy – at the end of the assignment
All deliverable are to be presented in English in digital and hard copy formats.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in Public Health Engineering, Sanitary Engineering, Environmental Health Engineering, Water Quality Management or other relevant fields
*A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of Five years of relevant professional experience in water quality/environmental management programs.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Opening Date Fri Jun 22 2018 08:00:00 GMT+0200 (CEST) E. Africa Standard Time
Closing Date Sun Jul 01 2018 22:55:00 GMT+0200 (CEST)