The Global Water Partnership (GWP) vision is for a water secure world. Its mission is to support the sustainable development and management of water resources at all levels. GWP was created to foster the implementation of integrated water resources management (IWRM): the coordinated development and management of water, land, and related resources by maximizing economic and social welfare without compromising the sustainability of ecosystems and the environment.
GWP Central and Eastern Europe’s international network comprises 11 Country Water Partnerships in Bulgaria, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine and more than 200 Partners located in 12 countries. For more information: www.gwpcee.org
SCOPE OF THE POSITION
The Regional Coordinator acts as a director of Global Water Partnership Central and Eastern Europe (GWP CEE) Regional Secretariat, located at the Slovak Hydrometeorological Institute in Bratislava, Slovakia. The position is based in Bratislava, Slovakia, with frequent travel. Under the overall guidance of GWP CEE Regional Council and its Chair, the Regional Coordinator operationally manages all activities of GWP CEE network in 11 countries of Central and Eastern Europe, according to a work plan that is approved by the Regional Council.
A small secretariat, located at the Slovak Hydrometeorological Institute assists the Regional Coordinator.
The Regional Coordinator reports to the Regional Council and Global Water Partnership Organisation Network Officer located in Stockholm, Sweden.
Strategy Development and Implementation
- In collaboration with the Council of the GWP CEE Regional Water Partnership, prepare annual work plans and budgets.
- Organise and direct the GWP CEE work plan and follow it up, including the work of the GWP CEE experts and Task Forces.
- Facilitate the implementation of the GWP CEE work plan.
- Coordinate fundraising at regional and national levels in cooperation with the Chair and the Council members.
- Prepare work plan and budget covering the duration of the planned period – the content of this work plan shall be agreed upon and endorsed by the Council and the GWPO Secretariat. The work plan may be reviewed from time to time and will be each time formally endorsed by the Council.
Management and Governance
- Day to day management, administration and monitor operationally all of the GWP CEE activities.
- Select and direct the staff of the GWP CEE Secretariat.
- Act as the focal point and formal GWP CEE address.
- Organise and direct the regular and ad hoc meetings of the GWP CEE Council.
- Respond to specific requests from GWP CEE network either assisting them directly or directing them to relevant partners or collaborators.
- Be responsible for financial management of the GWP CEE activities, monitoring the financial status of the GWP CEE and preparation of periodic activity, financial and in-kind reports.
- Facilitate annual, internal audits and evaluations, as requested by GWPO, donors or other constituencies.
- Provide substantial advice and/or participates in the implementation of projects, as requested by the Chair.
- Participate in any other activity under the direction of the Chair.
- Excellent communication skills (ability to understand and be understood, diplomatic skills, drafting skills).
- Enthusiasm, dedication, entrepreneurial spirit, “can-do” attitude.
- Be able to work on your own initiative and with minimal supervision.
- Be able to work independently and in a fast-paced environment and show initiative in designing and implementing new GWP strategy.
- Must be able to multi-task and be detail-oriented.
- Creativity and the ability to think strategically “outside-of-the-water box” is desired.
- Open minded, and a good team player, able to lead and motivate staff with the example
- Advocates and promotes the vision and mission of the GWP CEE.
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- Pro-active prioritizing, planning, organizing, coordinating, monitoring, reporting, following up – ability to work and deliver results under time pressure.
- An academic degree in water management, engineering, environmental sciences and minimum 10 years work experience in relevant discipline.
- Five years senior level management experience in managing staff and budget.
- Two years of experience with European Union funded projects.
- Fluent in English language, good writing skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; MS Office 365, SharePoint.
- Good computer skills, use of Skype and other teleconference tools.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Facilitate effective networking, communication, and information sharing within GWP CEE network.
- Keep a close and frequent relationship with the Chair of the GWP CEE Council.
- Act as the liaison person with the GWPO Secretariat.
- Plan and participate in various workshops, seminars and other meetings related to the programme of GWP CEE activities
Interested candidates should submit:
- A full CV
- A self-motivation letter
Closing Date: 30 June 2018
Late applications will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted to GWP CEE Regional Secretariat: [email protected]