Sanitation Governance Specialist (Knowledge and Innovation Support for ADB's Water Financing Program)
Scope of Work
The Sanitation Governance Specialist will undertake an assessment of the prevailing conditions that hinder greater participation of private sector in the sanitation subsector, including, but not limited to a country’s specific laws and regulations, its economic factors, the existing governance structures, and the existing water supply and sanitation sector. Particular focus should be given on how to enable entry of new technologies. The Specialist shall recommend short and medium-term actions that can be taken by ADB and DMCs to address the hindrances, and prepare a discussion paper to inform a structured discussion on governance within ADB, its dialogues with developing member countries, and discussion with external players, either during water events or other knowledge sharing venues.
Detailed Tasks and/or Expected Output
Specifically, the Specialist will undertake the following detailed tasks:
1. Get familiar with the Reinvent the Toilet Challenge updates and details on technology products (https: //www.gatesfoundation.org/What-We-Do/Global-Growth-and-Opportunity/Water-S...). Coordinate with BMGF on which new technology products are ready for mass production, understand its specifications and capabilities
2. Identify potential regulatory issues that may prevent sanitation technologies from becoming mainstream
a. Understand the potential target market of each technology, and review the pertinent regulations for each market
b. Identify current regulatory provisions that may support mainstreaming of specific technologies in the target markets
c. Identify current regulatory provisions that may hinder mainstreaming of specific technologies in the target markets and prepare draft propositions to address these hindrances
3. Prepare a report to capture summaries of 1 and 2
4. Prepare a discussion paper to inform discussions on regulation, including in major water events such as the Asia Water Forum in October 2018 and as part of the Reinvent the Toilet Expo where possible which will include support in developing and delivering the program for these two events.
5. Conduct a knowledge sharing session at ADB HQ to present the findings and way forward