Programme Support Officer
Young Water Solutions is a youthful and vibrant organization based in Brussels and created in 2015 that empowers young people in low and middle-income countries to lead the solution to water issues in their communities, through the provision of technical and financial support. After successful implementation of a series of youth-led field projects across Africa and Asia, Young Water Solutions launched in 2017 its flagship program, the Young Water Fellowship, that offers training, mentorship and seed funding to young people with project ideas that can contribute to the solution of local water, sanitation or other water management issues.
After receiving 800 applications from 95 countries for its first call for applications, and supporting 10 young people (‘’Fellows’’) to implement projects that are benefiting 10.000 people, Young Water Solutions is now preparing its next 4 editions, that will focus on social entrepreneurship. This way, 40 young leaders [10 per edition] will be empowered with the necessary skills and knowledge to set up a water-related social business; and 40 new youth-led social businesses will be created, benefiting at least 25,000 people with better water management conditions. This program also includes a strong gender approach, as all social enterprises will have gender-sensitive and women empowerment components.
Moreover, Young Water Solutions aims to use the program’s lessons learned to inspire policy making, and to improve current youth/entrepreneurship practices of other organizations in the entrepreneurial ecosystem. This way, advocacy and knowledge sharing become key components of the YWF 2018-2020.
For more information about Young Water Solutions: www.youngwatersolutions.org
Young Water Solutions is in a growth phase with significant potential for expanding its activities in the years to come. For this exciting time, we are looking for a Program support officer for the Young Water Fellowship 2018, who can help develop our organisation and assist the Program Coordinator in all activities during the program implementation, in particular with:
- Review and help improve Fellows’ project proposals
- Coach Fellows on WASH during the first stages of their social enterprises;
- Review monitoring and evaluation tools to assess projects’ impact;
- Create mentors’ database and support matching Fellows with senior water experts;
- Support regional edition planning (e.g. identifying local partners, fundraising);
- Organize the call for applications for the YWF 2019;
- Write reports on the different stages of the program;
- Support logistical arrangements for meetings and events;
- Take a share of the daily administrative and organisational tasks.
Other tasks as required
PROFILE OF THE CANDIDATE
Knowledge, experience and skills
- A degree involving significant water, sanitation or IWRM content. Experience on WASH/water management can replace formal education requirements.
- Excellent knowledge of English (writing & speaking).
Outstanding writing and presentational skills.
- Proven administrative, organisational and project management experiences, as well as knowledge about entrepreneurship.
Other language skills, in particular good command of French.
- Motivation to contribute to YWS’ mission and vision
- Self-motivated, outcome-oriented, team player.
- Proactive, flexible, hands-on personality.
- Attention to detail and diligent work approach and method.
Able to work autonomously, set own priorities and deliver within agreed timescales.
Time assignment and location
A contract is offered for 70% full-time equivalent (27 hours a week) for a fixed duration of 8 months, ideally starting on September 10th 2018. There will be a probation period of six weeks and depending on funds availability, the possibility to extend the contract and increase time dedication in the future exist. Gross salary and tax conditions can be shared upon request.
The job is based in Brussels (working rights in the EU or Belgium are a must), and it is halftime at the office and halftime home-based.